Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Plexi: How does it sound?

The Plexi is one of those amps I'm considering purchasing in the near future, though it will be a while since I can step into a shop and try it out. For those who have one or have tried it, how does it sound? I'm told that it's a pretty clean amp, though it has some nice crunch when the volume is increased.

And this is a stupid question, but if I wanted to get that Plexi crunch but without increasing the volume or getting a hot plate, would getting a JCM 800 make sense? Or is it completely different?
    Guitars: Martin HD-28 - Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline - Gibson Les Paul Standard - 1960 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Standard VOS - Yamaha AES620
    Amps: Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 Channels - Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
    Effects: Line 6 DL4 -> Boss DD-6 -> Boss RV-5 -> Keeley Modded Ibanez TS9 -> Keeley Modded ProCo RAT -> Fulltone OCD -> Peterson Strobostomp -> Dunlop Slash Wah -> Ernie Ball 6166 Volume Pedal

The Plexi is one of those amps I'm considering purchasing in the near future, though it will be a while since I can step into a shop and try it out. For those who have one or have tried it, how does it sound? I'm told that it's a pretty clean amp, though it has some nice crunch when the volume is increased.

And this is a stupid question, but if I wanted to get that Plexi crunch but without increasing the volume or getting a hot plate, would getting a JCM 800 make sense? Or is it completely different?

The JCM800 really needs to be cranked to sound good, too, though it gets crunchier at lower volumes.

Honestly, if you want a Plexi sound at low volumes, you might do better either getting a good pedal (see Brian Wampler's stuff) or trying Plexi clones build by boutique builders that are specifically designed to sound good at lower volumes. I'm not much of a Marshall guy, so I can't remember who those builders are.
    Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

Fargen makes some great lower watt alternatives. They are pretty expensive though. I had a JCM 800 for awhile, awesome amp, just too much for me. With an OD it could do great rock tones at lower volume. Obviously you don't get anywhere near the potential til you crank it, but still sounded fine at lower volumes nonetheless. I can't comment on the Plexi though.
      Live to play LIVE

Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

My Rig:
      Jet City JCA2112RC

TU-2 > V-847 > ST2 > Route 808 > DD-3

Epi Les Paul Std+ (BG dark set)
      Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop
      Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59)

Comment

Seriously, hot plate.
        The box pattern and arpeggio diagrams I made. Use em for whatever.

My death metal band.

Band's facebook page

Comment

a good attenuator is a must or a master volume mod, like a PPIMV. here's Riffguy is using a 200w Major with a MV and it sounds sweet.
          great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Plexi sounds amazing. It is the SOUND.

However it has to be full bore to get the sound and it is incredibly unusable. Even bringing it down to band level with an attenuator squishes the sound too much. And that's with two valves pulled.

I'd recommend a JMP MKII 50W head and an attenuator.
            Have a listen and like my rock/stoner/thrash band Longhorn on Facebook

Comment

Loud thats how.
              Jca 50h/ 100h/ 22h Mod thread and Owners Club
              Jca20H Mod thread and owners club
              Like me on facebook
              Follow me on twitter

Comment

it's the best sounding amp ever made, marshall got it right the first time, Im talking about the jmp mk2 and also the jtm 45's the jcm 800 is't a plexi, this is the year they switched to pcb's and some crappy digital stuff in the circuit, jcm800 sux big time! they are weak and thin sounding, stay away from them, unfortunately you gotto crank these old amps up to get saturation and they are LOUD! it's unplayable without a attenuator of some sort but I hate attenuators cus they mess up the tone, but what can you do? that goes for all of these old amp, I would love one with a master volume, but so far I haven't seen one, have a look on you tube, there are plenty of sound samples there

Comment

it's the best sounding amp ever made, marshall got it right the first time, Im talking about the jmp mk2 and also the jtm 45's the jcm 800 is't a plexi, this is the year they switched to pcb's and some crappy digital stuff in the circuit, jcm800 sux big time! they are weak and thin sounding, stay away from them, unfortunately you gotto crank these old amps up to get saturation and they are LOUD! it's unplayable without a attenuator of some sort but I hate attenuators cus they mess up the tone, but what can you do? that goes for all of these old amp, I would love one with a master volume, but so far I haven't seen one, have a look on you tube, there are plenty of sound samples there

you have a rot to rurn, Glasshoppah
                  great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Why is it that almost all post examples are Balls to the Walls. There's never any mid gain Plexi tones which are even more awesomer.
                    Grease Monkey... SLO... M90... Dual Rect... Others...

Comment

Comment

Why is it that almost all post examples are Balls to the Walls. There's never any mid gain Plexi tones which are even more awesomer.

this.

but I think everyone's idea of plexi is EVH's sound of a marshall on the verge of meltdown.
                        Guitars
                        Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
                        Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

but I think everyone's idea of plexi is EVH's sound of a marshall on the verge of meltdown.
                          Yeah, it does often seem that way.
                          Grease Monkey... SLO... M90... Dual Rect... Others...

Comment

yeah those JCM 800's really are garbage..............................

Comment

plexis rule. they're amazing amps, it's true. but this is kind of crazy talk. jcm 800's are amazing amps, with no digital anything in the circuit, by the way. if you want to get crunch at lower volumes you should consider a jcm 800 or a jmp with master volume, like the mk2. maybe look into 50 watt ones. please, if you find an original old plexi, don't mod it. it's such a shame. just by a master volume model. look into a 2203 or 2204, like the later master volume jmp's and the single channel 800's. i have two of them and totally love them. they still do better cranked, but you can get crunch at lower volumes.

Comment

Working...
                              X