Vox AC4TV vs Bugera V5

brandass

• Members

Anyone try them both?

The reviews and demos bounce around in my head, with no clear winner. Can't try before I buy, no easy access.

Advice?

I have the AC4TV and I'm growing more fond of it everyday. The clean to crunch sounds are great...not very good in the high or even medium gain department. I tried the Bugera and can't imagine buying one.

Now I did notice that the version of the Vox I bought is no longer available...the 8" speaker combo...I paid $110 shipped from JR Music, so I might be a little biased due to the price point. I probably wouldn;t pay $249 for one and would go for a little more money and get a Blackstar or Jet City.

BTW - the HT-5 head is a monster for hard rock and high gain sounds...

• Members

You arouse a lot of brand snobbery when you say bugera. I've had the V5 for 7 months or so, play it everyday with a sss and ssh strat. I really like it for it's warm clean. I have a couple dirt pedals in front which it plays well with. I've kept the amp all stock and think it's quite good as a home practice amp.

As far as reliability, I've heard nothing bad on the v5, and have had no issues with mine. 99% of all issues I've read on any bugera is a tube failing. People who don't really know any better call this an amp breaking down, but really it's just a tube, like switching a light bulb, and has nothing to with amp failure.

If you need an amp that puts out its own heavy distorted tone, then for sure look elsewhere, but if you like a warm tube clean with the ability to mix in some vintage overdrive then the V5 is a great choice.

You use to have to pay close to $500 for tones like this.

• Members

You arouse a lot of brand snobbery when you say bugera. I've had the V5 for 7 months or so, play it everyday with a sss and ssh strat. I really like it for it's warm clean. I have a couple dirt pedals in front which it plays well with. I've kept the amp all stock and think it's quite good as a home practice amp.

As far as reliability, I've heard nothing bad on the v5, and have had no issues with mine. 99% of all issues I've read on any bugera is a tube failing. People who don't really know any better call this an amp breaking down, but really it's just a tube, like switching a light bulb, and has nothing to with amp failure.

If you need an amp that puts out its own heavy distorted tone, then for sure look elsewhere, but if you like a warm tube clean with the ability to mix in some vintage overdrive then the V5 is a great choice.

You use to have to pay close to $500 for tones like this.

I've been really curious how does the V5 headphone output sound and can you record with it? This is something really appealing about the Lil' Night Train is it has a direct out/ headphone out with simulated speaker so you can record direct. I like having options when recording so running a line-out as well as maybe running a couple of mics all at the same time is not out of the question for me when recording. Anyway thanks for any input you have about this.

• Members

I had a V5 for about a week. Didn't hate it but I definitely liked my other 5 watters better. Also have the AC4 and it is really cool, but they really don't compete that much tonally with each other. The Vox is definitely its own vibe.

What TL said....That was my issue with the Bugera, it isn't snobery, it just didn't as impressive as other 5 watters. As a BTW - if I needed a small 1x12 low watter I would seriously consider the Bugera V22.

• Members

I had a V5 for about a week. Didn't hate it but I definitely liked my other 5 watters better. Also have the AC4 and it is really cool, but they really don't compete that much tonally with each other. The Vox is definitely its own vibe.

Is the Vox well more voxy sounding? Does it sound like a little AC30? This is the sound I am after in a small all-tube direct recording solution. I think the lil' night train may be it.

Archived