HC Sale Problem: How should I handle this

Ballsagne

• Members

I have just had no luck with buying/selling on the internet lately (for those of you who remember the ebay 5150 fiasco). I sold my T.C. Electronic G-Force to a member on here. He got it yesterday and has sent me this:

Hey man. I'm having trouble with the G-Force. I don't know if you were aware that it was not working but, it isn't
:cry:
. It wasn't the shipping, the items cosmetically looks fine and the backing job was sufficient. It just does not work.

Anyway, I'll be sending it back to you as soon as you send me a refund.

Thanks,

Ryan.

I know for a fact it was working when it left my house, and I have bought and sold on this forum in the past without any problems. Im really afraid to send a refund and get nothing sent back to me. How does a situation like this work around here?

• Members

thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that was the way it is normally done so I dont get blasted on here when I demand that. Honestly I think the best thing to do is if there is another HCAF member (preferably senior or hall of fame so we know their word is good) who lives around Oxnard CA they could go look at it as an impartial judge to see what is really going on. If it is actually broken Id gladly take it back and fix it (or just pay for the repair), but It left my house working so I dont know what the problem is

• Members

Sorry dude. I know it sucks. No way of knowing if he did anything silly and is covering his tracks, or if it was stored somewhere stupid during shipping - very cold temperatures do weird things. It's just {censored}e luck. Return the cash, work on the damage limitation later.

I sold a PS1 years back on the bay. Chipped it, tested it, worked fully. I used it for a few months and ebayed it. The guy claimed it was DOA, no way to prove otherwise and I refunded him and a few quid for return shipping.

I was sure he diddled me. Got it back, sure enough, no dice. Opened it and noticed that there was contamination on the board. After calling the shipper, they reckon they get stored in containers as soon as they are brought in and they stay there, outside, until delivery. I could only guess the excessive cold played a bit of havoc and the guy hadn't let it raise to room temperature when he received it.

I managed to fix it and sold it as a repaired unit. But now I always tell people to let the box sit for a day before tearing into it to avoid these problems.

• Members

That is definately the plan. I shipped UPS and declared the value at $725. If I get it back and it show problems that relate to shipping does UPS do anything about it?

Yeah, but I hear the claim process is long and painful. You better have packed it good because I've also heard that unless it's packed to withstand a nuclear blast then they'll immediately throw out your claim.

When I was reading that message he sent you, the paragraph where he says he'll send it back once he gets a refund is a HUGE {censored}ing red flag. HELL NO. You get it back first, then you can talk about refunds.

Sorry about your buying/selling/trading luck lately broski.

• Members

thats the exact logic I was thinking. He in the initial message he said that everything appears fine and it just does not work. So there at least we established that there is a G-Force and it did not show up sawed in half lol. I asked him to clarify the problem and he says that it just does not turn on even though he has tried several power cords. These units just turn on automatically when they are plugged in so if that is really what is wrong that should not be user error (though it was not like that when I sent it out). I asked him if he could somehow show me (perhaps video via digial camera) the unit not working, but even if not I said I would refund after he sent it back. If he could show me the unit not working I also offered to pay for the repair instead if he still wanted the G-Force

• Members

Yeah, but I hear the claim process is long and painful. You better have packed it good because I've also heard that unless it's packed to withstand a nuclear blast then they'll immediately throw out your claim.

When I was reading that message he sent you, the paragraph where he says he'll send it back once he gets a refund is a HUGE {censored}ing red flag. HELL NO. You get it back first, then you can talk about refunds.

Sorry about your buying/selling/trading luck lately broski

I did end up getting the refund from the ebay fiasco (which there is an older thread about if you wanted to know about it). What happened was I called paypal that day and told them what he was telling me, and they decided that the guy was probably full of crap so they escalated the dispute to a full claim on the spot (so he had to send the money back and I left the worst feedback that I could fit). Crazy thing is within 2 weeks of that I got messages from 2 other ebay members who had the same problem with the same seller. Apparently he sells various amps with no intention to ship

• Members

If he does not send the unit back, and therefore I send no money back, what kind of trouble could I be looking at? Forgive me for bumping this a lot, but I just get really paranoid with stuff like this. FWIW I have several references on here as both a buyer and a seller, and I also have 2 ebay accounts (lminerv and nminerv) which are flawless as both a buyer and a seller. I have sold things as expensive as USA Jacksons and an ENGL SE as well as stuff as cheap as pickups, so I cannot see a reason why this one time on this one unit Im looking to rip a guy off. Im not outright accusing this guy of trying to scam me, but I know one technique scammers use is to try to make the other person feel like the scammer so they fall into the trap. It does seem like he is doing this as he has avoided most conversation regarding solving the problem unless it had to do with me refunding first which I will not do.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback thus far I really feel a lot better knowing that I am taking reasonable steps here

• Members

thats the exact logic I was thinking. He in the initial message he said that everything appears fine and it just does not work. So there at least we established that there is a G-Force and it did not show up sawed in half lol. I asked him to clarify the problem and he says that it just does not turn on even though he has tried several power cords.
These units just turn on automatically when they are plugged in so if that is really what is wrong that should not be user error (though it was not like that when I sent it out).
I asked him if he could somehow show me (perhaps video via digial camera) the unit not working, but even if not I said I would refund after he sent it back. If he could show me the unit not working I also offered to pay for the repair instead if he still wanted the G-Force

*Ahem* No they don't. They have 2 power switches and both need to be on.

From the TC G-Force manual:

You press Power switch, but there is no reaction.

- The power switch on the rear panel is switched off.

• Members

I did PM him asking if he checked the power switches, because frankly Im retarded and didnt realize there was one (I guess it was always flipped on so whenever i plugged in it would turn on so I never noticed/checked for a switch in the back). Im wondering if when I packed the unit i flipped it off without realizing it was even there and maybe he doesnt know it was there either. Or maybe it is just buyers remorse who knows, but in that case I would hope that he would just sell it elsewhere rather than give me a hard time just to get the money back faster

Archived