New KL's in the making. I've got WOOD.

SnaxSlingerAns

• Members

I figured since these are the first KLs I've actually bought the wood for in the beginning, I'd post a progress type thread. Should have some body pics within the next few weeks or so, ETA is somewhere in summer 11', I do believe. :)

Both are explorers, both are going to have one piece Honduran Mahogany bodies, 3 piece hard rock maple necks and Curly maple tops.

One will be trans redburst, fading into black around the sides and back. Birdseye maple fretboard, ebony binding, no inlay.

The other is going to be Trans White with a onduran rosewood fingerboard, also no inlay. This one is gonna be tricky to pull off right, but I've got confidence. It's looking like it will get stained black first, sanded down, then stained red, then sanded down again before having the trans white applied. Both finishes will be Nitro. Should be neat.

Here are the tops for both of them;

curlymaple31.jpg

curlymaple41.jpg

Here's the selection of fretboards I had to choose from when it came to Rosewood, 1-11 are Honduran Rosewood, 12-17 are Brazillian. :thu:

Number 8 is going on my guitar. :)

fretboards.jpg

This is the shade of red I'm shooting for as the lightest part fo the burst, like I said though, it's gonna go to straight black before making the turn over the edges of the guitar onto the back.

prsred.png

Both are gonna be single bridge humbucker, one volume knob, one switch for the optics, tuneomatic bridge/stopbar setups. Pretty simple and striaght to the point in terms of function. Pretty excited. I'll update the thread as I get more pictures and such. :thu:

-Ans

• Members
OH wow , man.

Seriously, those cuts of wood are boner inducing
:love:

Congrats, man!!!

Is the amp rig still the same, or?

Completely the same actually. My rig has stayed the exact same for well over a year now. Ever since I got the VHT cab...which I can't even remember when that was...before that the only thing I had changed was going from that BB Boost to the Barber Super Sport, it's stayed the same. :thu: My gear whoring days really are over. The ONLY amp I have even the smallest inkling of GAS to try/hear/play is one of those Fortins, specifically Jason's hulk mod thingie or a NATAS whenever it comes out. Other than that, I'm a happy camper when it comes to the amp rig.

-Ans-

• Members
Who would have ever guessed
:lol:

How've you been, mang? Haven't seen you around much at all!

Up and down man. Life has been pretty sketched out the past 8-9 months or so. :idk: The whole situation with Julie did quite a number on me, and it's still {censored}ing with me. Other than that, just trying to keep active and working, playing with the band and such. You?

-Ans

• Members
Up and down man. Life has been pretty sketched out the past 8-9 months or so.
:idk:
The whole situation with Julie did quite a number on me, and it's still {censored}ing with me. Other than that, just trying to keep active and working, playing with the band and such. You?

-Ans

I'm mere months away from being a Dad :eek:

• Members
can you link his website, The link from wikipedia doesnt work anymore for some reason.

He doesn't have one. :/ Well, I take that back...he had one that had like...a front page, but there was no content. I haven't checked it in a long time, maybe he took even that down? I know he doesn't feel like he's had the time to gather all the content he wants for the site when it launches...so no site for a while still.

found out we're having a boy

other than that good. Hectic... Stacy got laid off a ways back, and just started her new job a couple weeks ago. Nice to have her employed again!

That's awesome dude. Congrats, on both accounts. That single income thing is the dumps, fo' realz. Picked out a name yet? :)

• Members
its 2010, he doesnt have a website? FAIL.

:lol: Well, as much as that could be said, his wait times are 2 and 3 years as it is...so the lack of a website isn't hurting him. HAHA Plus, for those of us that have ordered stuff, him not having a website is pure win...his wait times would go up exponetially with the newfound contact ability and "publicity" would give him. So I see him not having a site as a positive thing. :cop:

-Ans

• Members
School me on a "KL"?

Kenneth Lawrence Instruments, aka, Ken Lawrence. Mainly a bass builder, does everything by himself, by hand, built an explorer for James Hetfield in the mid 90s, word got out, so now he's been building them for other people as well, including myself. :) He's a perfectionist and very exacting with his craft. His instruments rule. For me, they are the perfect fit. :) Here's my current one.

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

And as it is now...broken headstock and all. :lol:

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

-Ans

• Members
broken headstock?!?

:lol: Yeah, it's kinda the common break on the KL stuff. That little bottom pointy hatchet part at the front, it's pretty damn fragile so if it gets knocked hard enough, it snaps off. Such happened to mine. It's happened to both of Hetfield's and to a couple of the other ones Ken has made for other folks. I can glue the little piece back on, but I'm not too worried about it right now. Because of the way the grain was, from the front, it doesn't look too bad, it just looks as though the point isn't completely sharp anymore, it broke at an angle backwards though, so on the back it took off maybe 4-5 mm.

For {censored}s and giggles, here's one of the cooler shots of me playing it live before I cut my hair. Once I hacked my hair off...and since Julie wasn't there anymore, no one takes pictures anymore. :lol:

12305_104644659559076_1000004062770.jpg

-Ans

• Members

Damn 2 more KLs?

Thats {censored}ing awesome man.

Definitely keep us posted as this goes along, always cool to follow builds along especially ones with so much potential win such as this.

Looks like you're to an awesome {censored}ing start. :thu:

PS

How are your pups?

• Members
Damn 2 more KLs?

Thats {censored}ing awesome man.

Definitely keep us posted as this goes along, always cool to follow builds along especially ones with so much potential win such as this.

Looks like you're to an awesome {censored}ing start.
:thu:

PS

How are your pups?

They're good. Loki has gotten gigantic, and Odin is mah homie, like always. :)

IMAG0022.jpg

Dogpile. :lol:

• Members
Oh man, I love transparent white guitars
:love:

Sucks its gonna take so long; I Cant wait to see these!!!

:lol: You're telling me. HAHA I'm thinking the trans white I'm gonna try to do is going to be similar to this, which PRS calls "Charcoal Whitewash". I'm thinking with a little more white in the clear, it'll come out pretty damn awesome.

1069b.jpg

-Ans

Archived