Fender Prosonic Head

VeritasAequitas

• Members

Hey so I have a Fender Prosonic that I recently bought about 3 months ago. Im sure most of you know about the infamous pop (if not it makes a slight popping noise when switching between channels), at first it wasn't really annoying me but now it has been slightly getting on my nerves. So I was wondering would any amp tech be able to fix this?? Also, when my clean channel is on it makes like an airy/ windy sound I dont know how to explain it. Does this mean I need new tubes? or do i just need a noise suppressor? Thanks

• Members

Hey so I have a Fender Prosonic that I recently bought about 3 months ago. Im sure most of you know about the infamous pop (if not it makes a slight popping noise when switching between channels), at first it wasn't really annoying me but now it has been slightly getting on my nerves.
So I was wondering would any amp tech be able to fix this??
Also, when my clean channel is on it makes like an airy/ windy sound I dont know how to explain it. Does this mean I need new tubes? or do i just need a noise suppressor? Thanks

This is a really good question. I would ask any amp tech.

• Members

Earlier ones had the loud pop, later ones had this mod already done and the pop was not so loud.

The reason for the pop is that Bruce Zinky wanted a more pure signal path and in some way this makes it pop. I dunno, so I read.

But yeah, you can make it quieter but not 100% gone.

• Members

The airy windy sound on the clean could be a bad tube or a plate resistor going out. They all should be all 1watt or better.

The 2nd relay set up is {censored}ed up. Some of these amps are missing the reversed diode on the 2nd relay. With out, the the coil will hold on to a magnetic charge and collapse when switched off creating a nice pop. The grid on the next stage will pick up that pop.

Find a good tech to check it.

• Members

Hey so this guy on CL is offering to trade a JCM 900 Sl-X for the Prosonic would this be a good trade? The only reason Im considering this is because of the pop, and how it would effect a live gig. So would you take an SL-X over the Prosonic? I play punk, alt rock, some grunge, some indie, and hard rock. Also, classic rock. Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm a bit late to answer this but still...

Had both amps.

In EU I would ask for some money on top because Prosonics usually cost more. But the SL-x went up recently so who knows...

If you need two channels so the pop would be hearable I'm not sure and of the amps is for you. Sl-x is a one channel amp and you could set gain lowish and roll back the volume on your guitar for cleans and hit it with a boost for OD.

But the SL-x clean isn't really something to write home about. Especially when compared to the Prosonic.

Other thing is that while the SL-x is a great amp it was priced well below the Prosonic. Not that this matters necessarily, just saying...

Also the SL-x is quite a different flavour amp, check out if you like it first.

If you really like the Prosonic I think your best bet would be to search the net for mod that makes the pop less noticeable. This mod was actually done in the factory in the latter ones. But it won't be 100% gone.

Archived