What the gay is a power amp?

gorebreath

• Members

I was browsing guitar geek rigs and noticed Kurt Cobains 1994 setup and Eddie Van Halens 1997 both used "power amps" EVH also had his peavy head but Cobain only had the power amps. Are powwer amps significantly different than normal heads? What are the pros and cons of these units? Why don't more players use them? Can they be used in place of a normal head? SWEET THANKS:thu:

• Members
I was browsing guitar geek rigs and noticed Kurt Cobains 1994 setup and Eddie Van Halens 1997 both used "power amps" EVH also had his peavy head but Cobain only had the power amps. Are powwer amps significantly different than normal heads? What are the pros and cons of these units? Why don't more players use them? Can they be used in place of a normal head? SWEET THANKS:thu:

no preamp section.

• Members

Power Amp:

2902_Front_Detail.jpg

Preamp:

a_TriAxis-close.gif

Nifty, I am aware of what a preamp and power look like, I am just unfamiliar with their purpose. I am not a rich bitch who has my parents buy me everything I want so I am stuck with simple combo amps and whatnot. I have been saving up for a new head and came across these power and preamp thinger dingers and was intrigued.

• Members

:lol::facepalm:

k its like this

a regular amp head contains both a poweramp and preamp. In the most simple terms(and I'm probably not 100% right on this), the preamp shapes the tone, it's your EQ basically. Poweramp makes it loud, but also has an effect on the tone and overall sound.

The reason you'd use seperate power/preamps is because you have a much wider variety of sounds that you can get from combining different types and sounds. You can also run a preamp or poweramp with a regular amp head in place of its pre/poweramp.

• Members

Sorry , you must be a rich bitch to play like the big boys .

Have fun with your combo thingies though .

Oh I will, it's not a problem for me to use mediocre gear since I can actually play and spend more time doing that rather then loading up on tons of expensive gear that the "big boys" use so I can look like I am good instead of being good :thu:

Archived