Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PETERS GRYPHON & HALO CLIPS > Test of various cabs and speakers...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dude
    teh greenbacks
    Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
    Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
    Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
    Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

Man I really dig the Greenbacks in these clips! Makes me wonder how some G12H30 speakers would sound with that amp?

Cole

I got some clips of my cabs with the V30 x G12H30 mix (not on their own), but I haven't had time to edit them as yet.
      I was going to post them along with video footage another time.

They kept up with the 4x12's and had some nice growl, but I preferred the Marshall Greenback cab and the Mesa Oversize V30 cab.
      Those Greenbacks just sounded perfect to me for both clean and high-gain.

Cheers Cole.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

To purchase my CD's in digital or CD format go here:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/Firejack

Comment

That sounds really good. Now I'm GASsing to try some greenbacks and now I want a tele even more. What pickups does he have in that tele?

Haha same here.
        The Tele is something Cron is putting together himself.
        It's got a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and a Duncan P-Rails in the neck.
        Sounded great.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

I got some clips of my cabs with the V30 x G12H30 mix (not on their own), but I haven't had time to edit them as yet.
          I was going to post them along with video footage another time.

They kept up with the 4x12's and had some nice growl, but I preferred the Marshall Greenback cab and the Mesa Oversize V30 cab.
          Those Greenbacks just sounded perfect to me for both clean and high-gain.

Cheers Cole.

So do you still preffer 2 2X12's over a 4X12 ?
          Originally Posted by BryanFTWL

I think that is the finest metal tone I have ever heard.

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

Now that's what I call brutal tone.

Comment

Haha same here.
            The Tele is something Cron is putting together himself.
            It's got a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and a Duncan P-Rails in the neck.
            Sounded great.

So it's a 'bucker in the bridge? It sounded pretty thick.
            SPAM:
            Blackheart Little Giant Head
            BG Dark Bucker Pickups - Brand new

Comment

Marked for later.

BTW, did I catch word that you are selling the Peters? Are you replacing it with another amp? I thought the Peters was your fav. Just curious since your clips kill.

Hey there Chad.

Yep, I'm selling my current Gryphon and going Peters custom-shop.
              With the wife and baby in the car, I just miss out on being able to fit all my gear in by inches.
              Just need a Gryphon in a slightly smaller head.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

^if you stay away from Funland you wont run into any Zombies!

I still love that track mate!!!!

Yeah that song was a lot of fun.
                My fave song off that CD is "Alien Invasion From Chi Sagittarri" though.
                I can listen to that one without cringing.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

dude
                  teh greenbacks

I hear you man!
                  Sounded rich, thick and chunky.
                  Perfect mid-range growl and nice tight bottom with just the right amount of sag.
                  And the cleans were so sweet too.
                  Wish we had time to get more clippage of the Greenbacks.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

So do you still preffer 2 2X12's over a 4X12 ?

Absolutely.
                    I feel my 2x12 cabs hung with the 4x12's easily.
                    I'd just love to try all Greenbacks in them.
                    The only cab that seemed to have something extra in terms of depth was the Mesa Oversize 4x12.
                    That cab sounded bigger than all the others.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

Damn man, I wish there was a possibility of me buying that amp from you lol. Every one of those clips was killer!! I think the mesa OS is on top for me, followed by the MG. I bet k100s in the mesa OS would absolutely **************** worlds up man!! Ive tried V30s and k100s in the same cab, and preferred k100s by far.
                      Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

Hello Gents,

The g12k-100's was in a marshall mode four cab (oversize) not "mg"

They sounded really good in the room too but somehow with the angle the zoom recorder was in it came out more distant sounding than the other cabs but i did like it in person.

My faves are the 2 mesa cabs. Fwiw the traditional (smaller) mesa 4x12 was more on axis to the zoom recorder than the other cabs so just take that in mind.

Ideally we wouldve recorded them close mic'd in as similar positions as we could set up or at least mark out a square and swap all cabs into that square so that the zoom recorder stayed in the same position relative to the cab.... but we didnt have loads of time. Next time!

I do think we got a fair representation out of all the cabs' in the room sound and proved that the gryphon can sound good through loads of different cabs (unlike a lot of other amps).

My mark V hung very well and actually was in similar territory gain wise, at least how we dialed it in, with the gryphon having the ability to go a bit further into that full-on saturated territory. It is worth noting that the mark V had all stock tubes and was set to triode (the smaller sounding setting on channel3) for a lot of the demo, and that Firejack's Peters had a cocktail of tubes he had settled on after experimenting a little bit. But i doubt there is any way channel 3 on the mark V would ever sound as big as the gryphon. Channel 2 crunch mode on the Mark V stays tighter with the bass control up and thus sounds bigger than channel 3 (both using the same graphic eq settings)....in my experience.... but the gain needs to be dimed on ch 2 to be able to compete with ch 3 gain wise.

Heres a mini review of the Peters Gryphon channel:

The depth and damping control on the Peters amp makes it extremely versatile and I could achieve virtually the exact feel and response I was looking for. The eq is responsive and really hard to make it sound "bad". It sounds like James Peters really nailed the tonestack frequencies on the eq's (at least to my tastes). Turning up the bass knob never got muddy, just kept sounding bigger and bigger..... insane! The amp was a bit darker than im used to with the mark V but i believe it is mostly due to preamp and power amp tube choices (set up for Firejack's tastes and his speaker cabs).

Great, great amp! Would love to hear some other power tubes in there too because from what i can tell from the Peters website they can take almost anything!

The halo clean channel is also up there with the best clean sounds ive ever played, fuller sounding than the mark V clean and easier to play. The mark V possibly being a little more touch sensitive but i have no idea how much that is attributed to tube differences (EL34 Peters vs 6L6 Mark V).

Imho you cannot go wrong with a Peters amp (at least this one, hehe)

Cheers

Comment

So it's a 'bucker in the bridge? It sounded pretty thick.

Yes mate.
                          Acoustically though, the guitar itself has a lot of bass.
                          It's a huge sounding guitar.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

Damn man, I wish there was a possibility of me buying that amp from you lol. Every one of those clips was killer!! I think the mesa OS is on top for me, followed by the MG. I bet k100s in the mesa OS would absolutely **************** worlds up man!! Ive tried V30s and k100s in the same cab, and preferred k100s by far.

Cheers Raf.
                            It really is hard to make the Gryphon sound bad.
                            It sounded great through all the cabs.

And yeah I'd have to agree.
                            Those K100's have a huge lowend.
                            In that OS Mesa cab, they would swallow souls.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

Hello Gents,

The g12k-100's was in a marshall mode four cab (oversize) not "mg"

They sounded really good in the room too but somehow with the angle the zoom recorder was in it came out more distant sounding than the other cabs but i did like it in person.

My faves are the 2 mesa cabs. Fwiw the traditional (smaller) mesa 4x12 was more on axis to the zoom recorder than the other cabs so just take that in mind.

Ideally we wouldve recorded them close mic'd in as similar positions as we could set up or at least mark out a square and swap all cabs into that square so that the zoom recorder stayed in the same position relative to the cab.... but we didnt have loads of time. Next time!

I do think we got a fair representation out of all the cabs' in the room sound and proved that the gryphon can sound good through loads of different cabs (unlike a lot of other amps).

My mark V hung very well and actually was in similar territory gain wise, at least how we dialed it in, with the gryphon having the ability to go a bit further into that full-on saturated territory. It is worth noting that the mark V had all stock tubes and was set to triode (the smaller sounding setting on channel3) for a lot of the demo, and that Firejack's Peters had a cocktail of tubes he had settled on after experimenting a little bit. But i doubt there is any way channel 3 on the mark V would ever sound as big as the gryphon. Channel 2 crunch mode on the Mark V stays tighter with the bass control up and thus sounds bigger than channel 3 (both using the same graphic eq settings)....in my experience.... but the gain needs to be dimed on ch 2 to be able to compete with ch 3 gain wise.

Heres a mini review of the Peters Gryphon channel:

The depth and damping control on the Peters amp makes it extremely versatile and I could achieve virtually the exact feel and response I was looking for. The eq is responsive and really hard to make it sound "bad". It sounds like James Peters really nailed the tonestack frequencies on the eq's (at least to my tastes). Turning up the bass knob never got muddy, just kept sounding bigger and bigger..... insane! The amp was a bit darker than im used to with the mark V but i believe it is mostly due to preamp and power amp tube choices (set up for Firejack's tastes and his speaker cabs).

Great, great amp! Would love to hear some other power tubes in there too because from what i can tell from the Peters website they can take almost anything!

The halo clean channel is also up there with the best clean sounds ive ever played, fuller sounding than the mark V clean and easier to play. The mark V possibly being a little more touch sensitive but i have no idea how much that is attributed to tube differences (EL34 Peters vs 6L6 Mark V).

Imho you cannot go wrong with a Peters amp (at least this one, hehe)

Cheers

Ooops soz mate.
                              I was rushing to complete the thread before I had to go to work.
                              Also hadn't slept for 48 hours, hence the shaky memory.
                              Thanks for clarifying mang.

Great descriptions too.
                              You have a great ear for tone, and you have a knack for describing it as well.
                              BTW looks like we'll be able to make it this Friday to your gig.

MYSPACE

MY RECORDINGS

PETERS AMPS OWNERS CLUB

Comment

Wow, my computer crapped out on me and now I'm sad I can't hear these.

So you dropped the Peters bomb and decided to tell people? It's going to look cool as hell. I spoke to James about it.

I got my Peters shirt and hat yesterday as well as my Hydra back from upgrades. As previously stated, my computer is down, so no clips.

I have more pictures to take of all the guitars in my basement I'm babysitting and get the pleasure of playing. I own one Gibson SG and have 3 in my possession. It's quite a treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X