Oooh look - Apple being scumbags again!

satannica

• Members

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11404886

Apple has filed an 873-page briefing paper to the court laying out its claim to exclusive use of the name. Sector Labs is due to file its paper arguments in early October. The documents will be sent to the US patents office which will judge their claims.

They must not have heard of Line 6 I guess?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

does that mean they'd have to change the name of peapods?

I just checked the term pod on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POD

It's right down there at the bottom, 4th the technology section.

The courts should be fining them heavily for wasting their time with a bull-{censored} claim.

Are they gonna ask to change the name of apples as well, to avoid customer confusion? Oh my apple wont boot up, it just sits there being all green, though it does taste nice.

Do they really get many support calls saying "my pea-pod won't play my mp3s"?

• Members

I'm gonna get slayed for this but I agree with Apple. Anytime you hear anything "_____Pod" the first thing to come to mind is Apple. Line 6 gets a pass because the word pod is used first. I know it may sound silly but Apple has spent a fortune branding their product and branding is extremely important especially at the level that a company like Apple is at. Anything that remotely causes any confusion should be forced to change it. If someone was to say to you "there is a new Video Pod projector coming out" (that is what it's called) you would first think/assume it was an Apple product they were talking about until you got further details. That is a business no no. Besides, Sector Labs has to know that and they are just trying to capitalize on the association, IMO.

Flame suit on....

• Members
I wonder if Ma BELL and co's will sue the {censored} out of Apple for using the word "PHONE"
:lol:

Kotex going to sue Apple for using the word "PAD"
:lol:

{censored} Apple
:thu:

Funny you should mention Ma Bell. In the 40's and 50's Ma Bell took a bunch of companies for using "Bell" in their names or using an image of a Bell if it was used in a certian way.

Gibson Sued Fender over the "Broadcaster" name.

Fender has gotten court actions against companies mis-applying some of their protected names and abbreviations.

Big companies sue all the time for copyright infringement.

I still don't see whay evry one is opposed to Apple protecting what it feels is infringement.

• Members
branding being 'extremely important' for apple only goes to show that the company is no longer in the business of selling machines, but fashion. they weren't the first company making mp3 players and they weren't the first to use the word 'pod'.

Branding is extremely important for every major business.:facepalm: Seriously? Seen any commercials lately? Hear any jingles lately/ Branding is as important as the product itself so I guess that every company is in the business of selling fashion. Sorry but that was a biased, dumbass statement.

• Members
Why should a company not be allowed to protect it's copyright?

Those who disagree with this are free-market/capitalism hating terrorists. Or just don't know about copyright law

Perhaps it is you who doesn't understand copyright law. iPod if it is protected at all is protected as a registered trademark not a copyright. :p

Seriously though, I knew what you meant. Even if they stand to loose if they do not pursue such cases then it might make it easier to loose their trademarks in the future. Secondly, these cases might make other companies think long and hard (heh... I said "hard") about using "POD" in any fashion.

It might be a dick thing to do but it is the corporate way.

Archived