Peavey Classic 50/50 vs Classic 60/60

mfergel

• Members

I know the 50 uses EL34's and the 60 uses 6L6's. What kind of tonal differences are there between these two? I've had the 50/50 and loved it, just hated hauling it around but kind of regret getting rid of it. I've got a line on a 60/60 and was planning on running it with my Rockmaster preamp.

• Members

I run a Rockmaster with a Classic 60 (the mono rack one), It is a stunning combination. The Rockmasters sometimes excessive mid and quack is not a problem at all with this combination, they work great together (probably designed that way) Damn loud though!

Only annoying thing about the amp is that all the controls are on the back, I run it wide open anyway so its not a problem.

• Members

I pretty much agree. The 50 sounds good because it has more controls, but I am not a fan of tiny tubes these days. If I were to get one today, it would be the 60, for the big tubes.

I have actually considered picking up a 60, and then modding it with presence and resonance controls...

• Members

Yeah Shask, Ive been thinking about that mod, never got round to it. Another mod worth doing is adding adjustable bias, I didnt like the way bias is fixed on these amps. Anyway, dont want to take this thread off topic.

I had a BIG smile on my face the first time I fired up the rockmaster and 60. The 6L6's have much more bottom-mid than EL84 amps I have tried. (Considering how tiny the reservoir caps are in it) Ive never tried the 60/60. Anyone used the 120???

• Members

Yeah Shask, Ive been thinking about that mod, never got round to it. Another mod worth doing is adding adjustable bias, I didnt like the way bias is fixed on these amps. Anyway, dont want to take this thread off topic.

I had a BIG smile on my face the first time I fired up the rockmaster and 60. Ive never tried the 60/60. Anyone used the 120???

I used a Rockmaster and Mesa Studio Pre into a 50/50 years ago.

I think the other downfall of the 60, is that the 50 has separate on/off switches for each side, and I dont think the 60 does. That is just kind of a cool feature to use half of it, and save the other half.

• Members

I used a Rockmaster and Mesa Studio Pre into a 50/50 years ago.

I think the other downfall of the 60, is that the 50 has separate on/off switches for each side, and I dont think the 60 does. That is just kind of a cool feature to use half of it, and save the other half.

Yeah, see what you mean, and I guess you have to dummy load the unused side if you are not using it? Should be easy to add another switch to kill the HT on the unused side if you dont mind modding it.

• Members

I had a BIG smile on my face the first time I fired up the rockmaster and 60. The 6L6's have much more bottom-mid than EL84 amps I have tried. (Considering how tiny the reservoir caps are in it) Ive never tried the 60/60. Anyone used the 120???

IMO, Bigger tubes, bigger power, bigger caps, etc.... all just leads to a bigger sound. I like a big, deep bassy sound, so I laugh at all these new tiny tube amps. They all sound tiny to me.

That is one reason I play a Triple Recto now. I don't need the volume, but nothing sounds as massive as that thing. If I were doing rack today, I would probably get a huge power amp. That is one reason why I would take 6L6/6550/KT88 over EL84 or 6V6 any day.

• Members

IMO, Bigger tubes, bigger power, bigger caps, etc.... all just leads to a bigger sound. I like a big, deep bassy sound, so I laugh at all these new tiny tube amps. They all sound tiny to me.

That is one reason I play a Triple Recto now. I don't need the volume, but nothing sounds as massive as that thing. If I were doing rack today, I would probably get a huge power amp. That is one reason why I would take 6L6/6550/KT88 over EL84 or 6V6 any day.

Agreed totally. EL84 amp flat out, always seems to sound like a marshall to me (nothing wrong with that if thats the sound you are after). In rack setups, Ive found 6L6 type amps to give a more full complete sound. Just my opinion.

Archived