Laney Cub 12r-External speaker output?

jazzthat

• Members

So I've recently bought the Laney Cub 12R, which is a great little amp, wonderful tone for the price. However, it doesn't quite fulfill my volume needs at times, and while looking for ways to remedy this, I found the External Speaker Output on the back-labelled '8-16 Ohms'.

Basically, I want to work out whether it is viable/worth the cost to buy another 12" guitar speaker, (they have a Celestion in the Cub), and hook it up to the Cub - logically, being a 15w tube amp, this should boost it up to volume levels more reminiscent of something like an AC15, or another 15w dual 12" tube amp.

Thoughts? Is it worth it? Is it even possible? Or am I just being ridiculous? Keep in mind I live in New Zealand, so it's considerably harder/more expensive to get my hands on parts etc.

• Members

You're misunderstanding.

If you add another speaker, nothing is getting louder, but you have 2x as many speakers, therefore - give or take frequency response - x2 as much air getting moved; ergo, higher sound pressure and perceived volume increase.

This may or may not be enough for you and the only way you can tell is trying it out.

Providing that when you attach a cab it doesn't disconnect the internal speaker, which is the case with some small combos. If it does do this, you're no better off anyway. Check the manual and if it doesn't specify, email Laney.

• Members

NetStar, having two speakers will make the amp louder. Two speakers moving are going to mean more air moving, which does mean a louder sound.

It won't be twice as loud though, having two of the same sound will only add about 3db to the overall volume. Also, now the same amp is having to move two speakers so its power is getting shared between them. But it will be louder than one speaker in a measurable way.

Something else you can do is point the speakers in different directions so you'll get clearer dispersal throughout the room rather than have the power beamed in one direction.

What kind of speaker is in the amp? You might be able to replace it with one that has higher sensitivity. That's your best bet to getting more volume. For example, my ac30 had two 100db speakers in, now it's got two 96db speakers in and the volume has dropped a noticeable amount.

• Members

@CirrusThe speaker is a 12" Celestion, that's all I know about it.

@NetStar the Laney website describes the output as being used for 'additional speakers', so I'm assuming that the original speaker would stay connected.

Okay, so not much use in getting an additional speaker then. Looks like I should maybe just keep this as a low level practice amp and invest in an AC15 or something for higher volumes. Thanks for the advice guys!

• Members

Oh, one more thing-slightly different tack but the same amp:

At the moment I'm running a Boss RC50 and a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive (V2) through it, and the Laney doesn't seem to like that. At all. Running with no pedals it can get plenty loud (for a practice amp) and I can crank the gain up without any trouble, but as soon as I turn on the TOD, no matter how low I've put the gain, it starts getting this horrible rumbling, almost-breaking sound, unlike what the TOD produces from any other amp I've tried it on. I don't really know what I expect anyone to be able to say about this, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do AT ALL to make it work a bit better with pedals.

• Members

@CirrusThe speaker is a 12" Celestion, that's all I know about it.

@NetStar the Laney website describes the output as being used for 'additional speakers', so I'm assuming that the original speaker would stay connected.

Okay, so not much use in getting an additional speaker then. Looks like I should maybe just keep this as a low level practice amp and invest in an AC15 or something for higher volumes. Thanks for the advice guys!

Plugging a cab on that output automatically disconnects the internal speaker (according to the manual) so unless you are plugging a bigger cab, such as a 2x12 or 4x12, don't bother.

• Members

Oh, one more thing-slightly different tack but the same amp:

At the moment I'm running a Boss RC50 and a Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive (V2) through it, and the Laney doesn't seem to like that. At all. Running with no pedals it can get plenty loud (for a practice amp) and I can crank the gain up without any trouble, but as soon as I turn on the TOD, no matter how low I've put the gain, it starts getting this horrible rumbling, almost-breaking sound, unlike what the TOD produces from any other amp I've tried it on. I don't really know what I expect anyone to be able to say about this, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do AT ALL to make it work a bit better with pedals.

Honestly, byr everything you are describing, you need an amp with more wattage and headroom at the input stage. I guess you could mod the hell of this amp to be what you want, but you better off just buying something that takes pedals better and can get louder for your larger gigs.

• Members

Plugging a cab on that output automatically disconnects the internal speaker (according to the manual) so unless you are plugging a bigger cab, such as a 2x12 or 4x12, don't bother.

Do you think that'd be worth it? A cab is certainly cheaper than a decent sized combo, but d'you think I'd be able to get decent volume with only 15 watts output? I know Laney makes a fairly reasonably priced 2x12 Cub Cab. http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=cub-cab

• Members

I'd definitely recommend a 2x12 to get a bit more poke from the amp, you'll also notice a difference in the way the amp reacts and sounds. The laney cub cab is great, they also do the gs212ie which is an awesome cab for not much money.

If you're still struggling for volume then maybe it would be worth upgrading to one of the lionheart series of laney amps, the 20w head is easily loud enough to keep up with a rock drummer.

Archived