James LaBrie solo album

BerkleeBill

• Members

Yeah this is what happens when you actually put some thought into how the words sound, instead of writing an essay and then making the singer force the words in to the music. That's why this is better than current DT stuff.

I always though they forced LaBrie to do things with his voice that weren't "natural" for him. Listen to IAW and the listen to Awake. Where they said "be Edgier" I actually started to not like the band that much at that point.

I think he's got a great voice. He's no Geoff Tate or Warrel Dane but the dude is on pitch and has a good sense of melody.

• Members

I always though they forced LaBrie to do things with his voice that weren't "natural" for him. Listen to IAW and the listen to Awake. Where they said "be Edgier" I actually started to not like the band that much at that point.

I think he's got a great voice. He's no Geoff Tate or Warrel Dane but the dude is on pitch and has a good sense of melody.

I know I read somewhere that they don't allow James to contribute per se in that while he can write lyrics, he doesn't write music and was told unless he can bring in a working song they wouldn't use it (or something to that degree). Don't remember the full details.

• Members

I always though they
forced LaBrie to do things with his voice that weren't "natural" for him
. Listen to IAW and the listen to Awake. Where they said "be Edgier" I actually started to not like the band that much at that point.

I think this was more Portnoy suggesting/dictating this.

• Members

Gave it a listen. I found it repetative after the first couple of songs and the guitar playing, while good, sounded very generic progressive metal to me. Also the guitar sounds like it's Line6 or something. Overly digital.

thank you.. Granted, the guy isn't wearing two tone haircolor, long hair, earings, no spandex, no cool "Heavy metal faces"... I can get past all that....... but to me, it sounded like a guy playing through a $50 zoom pedal with effects out the ass...:confused:

Beastly player though.... really smooth playing.

Archived