vox ac4

schecterc1lh

• Members

If i were to plug this into a 2x12 or 4x12, could it keep up in volume for something like church gigs? It doesnt need to be extremely loud, but loud enough to keep up with drums, but not extremely hard hitting drums. Also, how well does it do high gain? It would also be my practice amp, so a decent gain would be a plus.

• Members

I've plugged mine into my Marshall 4x12. It's a JCM 800 4x12 loaded with g12t-75 speakers. You will be surprised at how loud 4 watts actually is. It will keep up with "not extremely hard hitting drums", but it will not be clean.

It also will not do high gain. It's not designed for that. I suppose you could stick a pedal in front of it for that, but I have no experience doing that with it.

It's a great practice amp.

• Members

not high gain at all. Its best tones are the "just past breakup" area. As for volume, they are about the same as the other popular budget 5 watters out there. So whether or not it would be loud enough just depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish with it. 5 watts thru an efficient driver is pretty noticeable.

• Members

5W is not really that great for any sort of band practise or gig. IF you put it through a sensitive external speaker it MIGHT just get there, but why bother; for the price of a 5W valve amp and a speaker cab you could get a 5W valve amp and either a mic to send it to the PA or a larger, cheap used amp for church (which you could leave there to save you the bother of carrying it back and forth).

A 50W modelling amp will suit you perfectly, but won't be as good a tone as a 5W valve amp at practise levels. It won't be far off with a bit of tweaking though, depending on how highly tuned your ear is...

To be honest though, if you're ear really is highly tuned to high class tone, you probably won't be satisfied with a cheap 5W valve amp...they use budget speakers and components and although they do sound nice, they're nothing like a small AC30.

Archived