WOT: Anyone a stutterer?

carryonplease

• Members

I have stuttered since I was in 4th grade. Now I am 22. It is a really interesting phenomenom/disorder type thing.

recently i don't "stutter" i'll end up just stopping the word and won't even be able to get it out. this almost seems worse to me because then people either think you are an idiot or don't know what to say. I also sometimes train myself to stay away from certain words which can cause important conversations to not go well, or make me look, again, like an idiot

i know there must be a few of you out there. wanna share some experiences?

• Members
haha well you are a better man than me
:rolleyes:

but really, it doesn't happen around my friends, just randomly and obviously in situations where anxiety arises

that must suck. I don't think the people I know would ever consider me to be their friend. Or at least I wouldn't consider them to be my friend.

• Members

stutter is not difficult to say. sometimes if i get caught of guard i stutter my name...like p-p-p-peter or i'll just choke up and not say it. probably one of the most demoralizing things ever hahaha.

i think i have a relatively good attitude about the whole thing, when people make fun of me for doing it i find that relieving. its just bad when people don't know what is going on and assume something is wrong with my mental condition haha

• Members

stutter is not difficult to say. sometimes if i get caught of guard i stutter my name...like p-p-p-peter or i'll just choke up and not say it. probably one of the most demoralizing things ever hahaha.

i think i have a relatively good attitude about the whole thing, when people make fun of me for doing it i find that relieving. its just bad when people don't know what is going on and assume something is wrong with my mental condition haha

but being ritardz gets you bonus bewb grabs, no?

• Members

A buddy of mine years ago stuttered really bad. He was also a "cage fighter". I loved watching someone make fun of him and then get their ass handed to them!!!

he was that ashamed?

{censored}, guess I would be too. I'd probably spit on that guy if I met him in real life.

because he'd take {censored}ing forever to finish his sentence.

• Members

My platoon sergeant when I was in the Army had a bad stutter. He was also not someone you wanted to {censored} with. He'd been a drill instructor at one time. Can you imagine how intimidating THAT would be? The only time the guy didn't stutter was when he was REALLY pissed, or singing cadence.

• Members

I have stuttered since I was in 4th grade. Now I am 22. It is a really interesting phenomenom/disorder type thing.

recently i don't "stutter" i'll end up just stopping the word and won't even be able to get it out. this almost seems worse to me because then people either think you are an idiot or don't know what to say. I also sometimes train myself to stay away from certain words which can cause important conversations to not go well, or make me look, again, like an idiot

i know there must be a few of you out there. wanna share some experiences?

There are several different reasons for it. My step dad has it bad and has never seeked any help, which would definitely have helped quite a bit. There are great tapes and DVD's to get, books etc...

First it helps to pinpoint when you started stuttering. Sometimes it is a copycat habit, sometimes its from a traumatic experience. You then have to unlearn to stutter, and also deal with your own stresses in life.

A friend of mine was a bad stutterer. It happened at a young age after a separation (both alcoholics). Never dealt with it until his early 20's. He went to his doctor, then got into a speech program. He also joined yoga and started increasing activity in his life. He learned that he was overthinking what he was going to say, he was 3 words ahead of what he was saying so he'd forget the word he was trying to say.

For a few months he was speaking very slowly, paying attention to his words and really stretching out his sentences. That was during a summer before I left. After a year, I came back and his speech was perfect. THere was the odd pause here and there, but they were more natural and didn't interrupt his flow quite as much.

He also started singing and playing guitar. This was quite the challenge for him, but its pretty much fighting the fear head on.

-D

Archived