So what's with this Whitebox crap?

DrakkarTyrannis

• Members

They seem really cool, and Doug is a top notch guy. They are not revolutionizing anything, just making a good solid project at a realistic pricepoint for most folks.

This. I just got mine today, and am liking it a lot. I'm definitely glad I pulled the trigger. I got it as a replacement-ish for the Vader I sold.

• Members

Ahhhh I see. Quality cab for a cheap price. I dig it. So they're doing the Avatar thing?

Pretty much, except that they look (subjectively) and sound (objectively) better than comparable Avatar cabs.

I'm completely sold. Until Orange starts giving me free cabs to tour with, all I'll be using is my White Box.

• Members

Pretty much, except that they look (subjectively) and sound (objectively) better than comparable Avatar cabs.

I'm completely sold. Until Orange starts giving me free cabs to tour with, all I'll be using is my White Box.

I think Avatars look better and chances are they sound exactly the same. Avatar just has more options... has been in business forever, and has always taken care of me. Unbelievable customer service.

Same with Vader... Adam has bent over backwards for me, a guy who bought one of his cabs used for $500.

I won't be buying a Whitebox.

• Members

Dave at Avatar is probably one of the most customer friendly business owners out of ANY company i have dealt with.

This.

I've been dealing with the guy for 7 years. I still have an Avatar out in my garage. Old, small, carpet covered cab. They only had one 4x12 back then. Not the best cab in the world but it served its purpose back when I bought it :)

They have some GREAT cabs now.

Every time I need speakers, I go back to him.

If I ever need something other than my Vader, I will buy another cab from him.

• Members

I cannot speak for Avatar's customer service - but 7 years of consistently good experiences certainly speaks extremely well of the company/owner.

I placed an order on the weekend for a 212 WhiteBox, and Doug has been in touch with me throughout the past few days sorting out a few questions I had regarding the order. Thus far, I have been extremely impressed with the personal touch and I look forward to receiving my order and giving the cab a go. And if all works well, I will probably send more $$ his way.

Not specific to cabinets - but I wish I could get decent customer service from my local music shops. With my experience many seem to forget who can help pay the bills and keep the store open.

It certain is nice that us consumers have quite a few options. The various rig options we have today are ridiculous. I am sure there is plenty of room for another company to join the mix.

• Members

Based on the shots I have seen it is NOT like a Mills. Comparing my Mills to a lot of other cabs, it has a very different 3D-like bassy and equal spread. The price has gotten a little on the expensive side now, but when I purchased mine it was less than a new Marshall 4x12.

The Whiteboxes look well built and sound good from what I have heard, but it is certainly a different design from a Mills.

I like the options that are offered with Whitebox and possibly sometime in the future I will get one. But to be honest I haven't seen anything "that" different (though how much more can really be done with a guitar cab?)

• Members

It seems like they'd be comparable to Avatar.

At any rate, I love my Avatar cab, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

In the same way, Doug is a class act on this forum, and his Jet City stuff is similar sort of good quality for a great price kinda deal, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a white box if I were in the market.

I don't think you can go wrong, either way.

• Members

More options are always win for the consumer at the end of the day.

Doug's a cool guy and he doesn't afraid of anything and if you're in the market for a cab, consider Whitebox as one of your options.

Is it something revolutionary? No but it is a well made product at an affordable price point for the average joe.

• Members

Dave at Avatar is probably one of the most customer friendly business owners out of ANY company i have dealt with.

This is for sure- that is my experience too!

I've seen on this forum that Doug also values customers and customer service in the exact same way, so the real question is:

When WhiteBox says that their cabs are " Designed in Britain", what does that really mean? Designed by acoustic engineers?

And how are Avatar cabs designed?

And more importantly, does one SOUND better than the other.

I've got a 2002 vintage carpet covered Avatar 2x12 and can't complain!

Bought it from Dave off ebay for $234 with a Celestion and a (long ago ebayed) Eminence.

• Members

Hype, schmype.

My white box cab is a {censored}ing tank, looks great and most importantly sounds incredible. That has nothing to do with hype. {censored}, I've been one of the guys DOING the hyping (because of these things).

Revolutionary? No. Neither is a Diezel, Bogner or Mako. They're just variations on a recipe.

This variation is very well done and very affordable. What is there to hate on?

It boils down to "was buying and playing a White Box cab a satisfying and rewarding experience" and the answer is yes.

Archived