Hey you guys living in Japan

guidedbyechoes

• Members

Is English your first language? I'm decided I want t learn Japanese, but besides learning a few words and phrases, I'm kinda eh.... I looked online and made it through one lesson and I know a whole {censored}load about a tree now.

I tried using babelfish but all I got was a bunch of squares. I can speak a little bit of Spanish but I wanted to start learning some Japanese since I think it might help me in the IT field. Also I wanna know what the hell is going on in those crazy game shows.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

?????? ??????????????????????? ?????????????????? ????????????????????????????

Today. You should procure the [rozetsuta] stone program. It is the splendid weak thing where it should learn. By the way, the hole of the rear end (the foolish guy) with you please have sexual intercourse.

thats what babelfish gave me.

• Members

Today. [rozetsuta] Should be obtained the stonework program. Element clear it does that we should learn, it is the [ku] weak thing. The rear section where by the way, you have been attached (the foolish person) there is sexual intercourse in the hole.

Thats the old translate and re translate.

• Members
Learn these

hiragana.gif

katakana-chart.gif

then basicphrases.

Also basic kanji like

??????onna meaning woman (handy in toilets)

??????otoko meaning man

tokyo ??

???????? nihongo Japanese language Nihon means Japan (as well as nippon)

Ext..

This is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like Kanji is easier than the English alphabet but I guess I need the audio before it clicks. Also how do I type in Kanji? IS there are program or is it a setting deal?

What are the two different charts? One Japanese and the other Chinese?

• Members

This is exactly what I was looking for. It seems like Kanji is easier than the English alphabet but I guess I need the audio before it clicks. Also how do I type in Kanji? IS there are program or is it a setting deal?

What are the two different charts? One Japanese and the other Chinese?

1st chart is Hirigana (Japanese writing) 2nd is Katakana Japanese writing of Foreign words; for example my name is not Japanese so it would be ?? (katakana)?not ?? (hiragana) as its a foreign word and hiragana wont be used.

Neil is pronounced niru.

This will explain it better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirigana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katakana

were as Kanji is more Chinese style writing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji

Such as ??(this is Kanji)?????(Hiragana)?Yokohama(romani)

Kana is the Japanese writing systemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana this will explain how it works.

on the other hand I know jack {censored}.

• Members

For me, Japanese was way easier to learn than Spanish or French. Rosetta Stone is BS. My best friend got it to learn Japanese but it was useless.

1. Learn the Hiragana alphabet.

2. Learn the Katakana alphabet.

3. Kanji is hard. Learn as much as you can.

4. Study up on basic syntax, particles and grammar. This includes basic nouns, verbs, adjectives and the VERY important When/Where/Why/How/What.

5. Make some Japanese friends and practice!

Or audit a university/college Japanese language class.

• Members

For me, Japanese was way easier to learn than Spanish or French. Rosetta Stone is BS. My best friend got it to learn Japanese but it was useless.

1. Learn the Hiragana alphabet.

2. Learn the Katakana alphabet.

3. Kanji is hard. Learn as much as you can.

4. Study up on basic syntax, particles and grammar. This includes basic nouns, verbs, adjectives and the VERY important When/Where/Why/How/What.

5. Make some Japanese friends and practice!

Or audit a university/college Japanese language class.

This also try and remeber easy ways of saying things.

for Example I remember Hajimema{censored}a (pleased to meet you) I remember as "hadmymashday" had my mash day.

As FourT6and2 said the koko soko asoko doko is important as well as everything else he has put

also I recomend the varies counting systems for time, date, objects as it all varies.

Also in IT in Japan they want English speakers as its all Microsoft Sun Cisco so all in English (I worked for a US Communications / IT company in Tokyo)

• Members

So most signs will be in Hirigana? So basically these different forms are like cursive and print writing, I take it. It seems a large part of the country can speak English as well.

Depends on where you are. Large cities will have a lot of signs in English as well as Japanese. Hiragana is the Japanese phonetic language. Katakana is the phonetic language used for foreign (non-Japanese) words. Kanji are Chinese characters that communicate entire concepts and are not phonetic.

I wouldn't rely on the Japanese' ability to speak English. It's better for you to assume nobody speaks English, even if they do.

• Members

Depends on where you are. Large cities will have a lot of signs in English as well as Japanese. Hiragana is the Japanese phonetic language. Katakana is the phonetic language used for foreign (non-Japanese) words. Kanji are Chinese characters that communicate entire concepts and are not phonetic.

I wouldn't rely on the Japanese' ability to speak English. It's better for you to assume nobody speaks English, even if they do.

Thats why I am attempting to learn the language. So local busisneses and street signs would be in Hirigana and places like mcdonalds and Walmart would be in Katakana. And Kenji is the formal version of writing?

• Members
So most signs will be in Hirigana? So basically these different forms are like cursive and print writing, I take it. It seems a large part of the country can speak English as well.

It will be a mixture, street names (like there are any) will be in Kanji.

this is a sign on top a nursing school in shibuya you can see all the writing styles on the different signs

IMGP0466.jpg

Another (funny) sign but look again at the Japanese its a mixture. Also FourT6and2 that was at the Hachik? dog, I bet at some point you have met someone there every one has.

IMGP0496.jpg

Again you can see all the different signs around and the writing styles as well as my blonde head :o

DCP_0977.jpg

Archived