Boss GT-10 Effects Loop Problem - Send and Return into Marshall DSL50

Macintoshmaster

• Members

Hi there,

I have a Boss GT-10 that I bought a year ago or so. I use to use it like this:

Guitar -> Boss GT-10 input

Boss GT-10 Output -> Marshall DSL 50 input.

This worked but I wanted to try out the effects loop.

I have tried:

GT10-send -> DSL50 return

GT10-return -> DSL50 send

guitar -> DSL50 input

And I tried:

GT10-send -> DSL send

GT10-return -> DSL return

And

Guitar > GT10 input

GT10 send > DSL50 input

DSL50 send > GT10 return

GT10 output > DSL50 return

And

DSL50 send > GT10 input

When I tried these it just came out with a very quiet sound From the amp and the gt10 effects did not work.

What difference would the effects loop give? Some people say that it isn't good for a tube amp?

I'm don't understand any of this or even what send and return mean for the amp and gt 10?

Please help!

• Members

You'll want to try 4 cable method. What that does is allow the amp loop to interface with the amp head and GT pedal.

This way you can use as effects only, or use the amps preamp sound with effects, bypass the amp's preamp and use modeling preamp with effects etc.

What some do not like about it is the preamp model in those modeler emulates a power stage of that chosen amp too. This colors your sound. You also want to keep cabinet models disabled if you use 4CM.

Send is sending the signal from the amp's preamp to your fx. Return returns the signal from the fx to your amp's power stage. 4CM is different since the guitar signal goes to the input of your GT10.

You need 4 cables.

1. Guitar to IN of GT 10

2. Send of GT10 to amp input

3. Return of GT10 to amp SEND

4. OUT of GT 10 to amp RETURN

• Members

You'll want to try 4 cable method. What that does is allow the amp loop to interface with the amp head and GT pedal.

This way you can use as effects only, or use the amps preamp sound with effects, bypass the amp's preamp and use modeling preamp with effects etc.

What some do not like about it is the preamp model in those modeler emulates a power stage of that chosen amp too. This colors your sound. You also want to keep cabinet models disabled if you use 4CM.

Send is sending the signal from the amp's preamp to your fx. Return returns the signal from the fx to your amp's power stage. 4CM is different since the guitar signal goes to the input of your GT10.

You need 4 cables.

1. Guitar to IN of GT 10

Hi there,

Thankyou very much,

My GT-10 works now but none of my controls on my amp work. I can't get my distortion channel on my amp. When I have no effects on my boss gt10 my amp does not sound like it use to - it sounds like a solid state amp? I can't use the gain or anything on the amp. As this swapped the dsl50 head for the boss gt10? Is my sound not going through the tubes anymore? It sounds very "Digital" if you know what I mean.

Please help!

John.

• Members

If you are using the modeling with the amp, use a clean channel. If you use a dirty amp channel, you get a mix of digital modeling amp with your amp as if you went through the front end of the amp input.

It's not a perfect method, but some like it. I never did. The multiefect has to DIGITIZE the guitar signal to work with it. No matter what method you connect, you can't defeat that part of it. This is why more people like to use a Rocktron Intellifex, or TC rack unit, or basic pedal board or something else in a dedicated loop.

• Members

If you are using the modeling with the amp, use a clean channel. If you use a dirty amp channel, you get a mix of digital modeling amp with your amp as if you went through the front end of the amp input.

It's not a perfect method, but some like it. I never did. The multiefect has to DIGITIZE the guitar signal to work with it. No matter what method you connect, you can't defeat that part of it. This is why more people like to use a Rocktron Intellifex, or TC rack unit, or basic pedal board or something else in a dedicated loop.

Hi there,

Thank you for replying.

I am confused! How do you mean by "Modelling"? With the GT-10 in with the 4 cable method nothing on my amp head works such as switching to the distortion channel and the EQ etc... My amp sounds nothing like it did without the GT-10. It sounds just like a solid state amp. Please could you tell me how this effects loop works? I only wanted to use the GT-10 as a reverb pedal, chorus, delay and a few effects like that. I don't ever want to use the distortion. I want the sound of my natural amp sound just with a few effects.

Thank you very much,

John.

• Members

i find it hard to explain but is this swapping my dsl50 head for the gt-10? It's just that my amp does not sound anything like a tube amp. It sounds flat - just like I put my guitar into a computer. Is the GT-10 not using the Tubes? I still want my tubes - what should I do! Will only analogue pedals not do this?

Thanks,

John.

• Members

DSL50 send > GT10 input

IMHO that's the best way to do it as long as you bypass the gain effects and amp models on the unit and only use the GT-10 for clean effects. If it didn't sound too good I would start by checking your levels on the GT-10.

To do so, create a patch with all effects bypassed so you pretty much only hear the tone from the DSL but the signal is still passing through the IN and OUT of the GT-10. Then adjust your input and output levels on the GT10 for unit gain. To do that you have to carefully listen to the tone and volume with the GT-10 plugged in and compare it to the tone and volume of the amp with nothing plugged into the loop.

Once your levels are set up to the point where your bypass patch and the amp by itself sound exactly the same, save that patch as your "template" patch. Then copy it to other banks and start adding effects on the copies of your template.

For gain boosts, just use analog pedals in front of the amp.

• Members

i find it hard to explain but is this swapping my dsl50 head for the gt-10? It's just that my amp does not sound anything like a tube amp. It sounds flat - just like I put my guitar into a computer. Is the GT-10 not using the Tubes? I still want my tubes - what should I do! Will only analogue pedals not do this?

Thanks,

John.

If you plug the GT-10 into the effects return and then plug the guitar directly into the GT-10, you aren't using the tube preamp on the DSL, so the sound will be flat. Plug the guitar into the DSL's input instead and you should still be able to use the GT-10 effects.

• Members

Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying!

I don't think I will bother with the 4 cable method!

I have done the what that GUitarbilly74 told me and my sound is awesome!

Guitarbilly74, what are the gain effects and how do I bypass them??? HOw do you mean "Levels"? How do I check them?

How do you "adjust your input and output levels on the GT10 for unit gain"???????

• Members

Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying!

I don't think I will bother with the 4 cable method!

I have done the what that GUitarbilly74 told me and my sound is awesome!

Guitarbilly74, what are the gain effects and how do I bypass them??? HOw do you mean "Levels"? How do I check them?

How do you "adjust your input and output levels on the GT10 for unit gain"???????

gain effects - compression, overdrive, distortion, fuzz etc.. basically anything that adss gain to the tone. How do you bypass them? Turn them off.

I am not sure how to adjust the input and outputy level on the GT-10 but I am sure there is a way. Refer to your unit's manual.

Setting to unit gain is doing the comparison I told you about on my previous post (not going to retype it, read my post again carefully.).

DEFINITELY take some time to read the user's manual of your unit and understand how it works as these are pretty basic functions that you should master in order to get the best tone. These things are not plug and play so you need to understand some basic functions well before you try to integrate it into your rig.

• Members

And

Guitar > GT10 input

GT10 send > DSL50 input

DSL50 send > GT10 return

This is the correct way to do it. Remember you need to set the send and return levels on the GT-10 just right.

Also, if you have the effects loop on the GT-10 bypassed, you will bypass your entire preamp on the amp. Connecting the GT-1o the way I quoted above puts your amp's preamp *inside* the GT-10's loop, which then gives you the option of bypassing your amp's preamp to run different amp models on the GT-10 straight into the Marshall's power amp.

On the flip side of that coin, if you engage the GT-10's loop to switch your amp's preamp back into the chain, you'll also want to bypass the preamp block on your GT-10 otherwise you'll be running 2 preamps at once.

• Members

I think 4CMs are tone suckers on units within this price range, even with levels matched. If you want to do a 4CM with a g-system or a snax that's one thing but with these units I really recommend you stick with a 2CM for clean effects only.

This is IMHO, of course.

This, I run my gt-3 through my blackstar loop just like this and only use mod effects, reverb or delay. Works great. :thu:

• Members

This, I run my gt-3 through my blackstar loop just like this and only use mod effects, reverb or delay. Works great.
:thu:

Agree with this too - use the amp for pre type gain and loop for mod/reverb effects....

There's no right or wrong way - try all and pick what you want....

• Members

This is the correct way to do it. Remember you need to set the send and return levels on the GT-10 just right.

Also, if you have the effects loop on the GT-10 bypassed, you will bypass your entire preamp on the amp.
Connecting the GT-1o the way I quoted above puts your amp's preamp *inside* the GT-10's loop, which then gives you the option of bypassing your amp's preamp to run different amp models on the GT-10 straight into the Marshall's power amp.

On the flip side of that coin, if you engage the GT-10's loop to switch your amp's preamp back into the chain, you'll also want to bypass the preamp block on your GT-10 otherwise you'll be running 2 preamps at once.

I think this was your problem all along. I have a GT-8 and made two attempts at the four cable method & figured it was a gear mismatch and wouldn't work for me. That was until I realized that the loop was, by default, disabled on my GT-8! Once it was enabled, it took a little tweaking, but not much, to have everything sounding awesome. I truly works great, and now all the stuff I want before the amp, like the OD's & Wah, are where they should be, and the modulation & verbs are in the amps loop. Truly works mint, I'd give it another try before you give in.

Also, this will enable you to use your amps clean channel & any models of the GT-8 if you want, just as if you were going into a single channel power amp & using the GT-10's amp sims.

Mind you, I'm using it with my Carvin V3 head, my Blackstar HT-5, and my XXX combo, all with great results. Also, if you are using a two channel amp, you can use the Amp Control feature to switch amp channels as well when switching patches.

• Members

1. Guitar to IN of GT 10

This is the correct way. Forumites "Just A Box" just above gave very pertinent infos.

"loop" on the GT8 must be enabled and amp sim turned to "off" then you'll be able to use FX in front or after the DSL's preamp and also use your DSL's pre. Use the FX chain button to position your FX/loop where you want them.

I've been using a Boss GT8 like this for almost 4 years now. I use it with a Marshall DSL50 and more recently with a Peavey 6505.

Here is a clip of my band if you want to hear how this sounds live:

I'm not home right now but I found out that I still have some very old presets available here: http://pages.videotron.com/benoa/BenoA_4CM_patches.zip

If you want to try them.

BTW, this is how I set my master volume on the back of my GT8:

backofgt8.jpg

Hope this help.

• Members

This guy is the epitome of a Mac user.

Did anyone figure out that when he had the 4CM installed, he was actually using the amp model of the GT10 and not the DSL?

How did you know I was a Mac user!

Yes that is what I was trying to say when I said has the dsl amp been swapped for the GT-10.

Thank you so much everybody for helping me. My guitars sound great but, the wah wah pedals and distortion pedals don't sound too good. Is there a reason for this? The wah wah's sound "weak" and the distortions sound strange. Everything else sounds awesome!!!

Archived