do I want to trade my 5150 for a XXX?

NinjaRaf

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I KNOW!!! Goddammit.

You know what, {censored} it. I dont need {censored} else hahaha. My 5150 is perfectly fine and is serving its purpose lol. All these HCAF gas inducers keep getting the best of me, and its some straight up bull{censored} haha. I need to just keep saving money for my custom, which, BTW, is on hold as of yesterday because of vet bills...plus my cat peed in my car and my car smells like cat pee, which contributed to yesterdays bad mood, and thus me trying to find something new that I dont need to take my focus away from that stuff haha.

• Members

I KNOW!!! Goddammit.

You know what, {censored} it. I dont need {censored} else hahaha. My 5150 is perfectly fine and is serving its purpose lol. All these HCAF gas inducers keep getting the best of me, and its some straight up bull{censored} haha. I need to just keep saving money for my custom, which, BTW, is on hold as of yesterday because of vet bills...plus my cat peed in my car and my car smells like cat pee, which contributed to yesterdays bad mood, and thus me trying to find something new that I dont need to take my focus away from that stuff haha.

Best way for me to kill GAS is to get off the computer and turn on one of my maps and play my LP. I fall in love all over again and forget whatever I thought I wanted.

• Members

HA, well, I dont feel that way about the 5150. I do about the 6505 212, though. I dunno. It doesnt have everything I need for live playing, though. I only have one guitar, and Im definitely getting a custom, so I dont really consider that gas...more like a goal lol. Amp gas is always killing me. I want a titan, mako, peters, engl, framus, you {censored}ing name it haha. The thing I dont like about the 5150...its not tight enough. Thats pretty much it.

• Members

HA, well, I dont feel that way about the 5150. I do about the 6505 212, though. I dunno. It doesnt have everything I need for live playing, though. I only have one guitar, and Im definitely getting a custom, so I dont really consider that gas...more like a goal lol. Amp gas is always killing me. I want a titan, mako, peters, engl, framus, you {censored}ing name it haha. The thing I dont like about the 5150...its not tight enough. Thats pretty much it.

well the clean on my XXX is completely unusable, the crunch channel has more gain then ever could be used, and the lead channel has even more gain lol.

But in all seriousness, the crunch channel is super tight and has as much gain/saturation as the 5150, if not more. Also, the lead channel cuts like crazy and sounds great for leads.

If you don't dig your 5150 for live stuff, the XXX might be good. But its really throaty and compressed. I don't dig the compression.

• Members

Some of you have had bad experiences with your XXXs, I guess.

For a time I owned both an XXX and 5150, and ended up ditching the 5150 first. After getting some better tubes, I was able to dial in the crunch channel on the XXX to sound more or less like the 5150. I kept the XXX because it offered me a real clean and another gain channel.

• Members

I liked the 112 I played for 10 minutes that one time...

dude, I recommend finding one and playing it.

I bought one and sold it to a buddy. I honestly don't like the sound, BUT it sounds good in his band mix and his leads really cut when they play live.

Some of the best lead tone I've ever heard live actually, I just don't dig the rhythm tone.

• Members

HELL no.

There is a reason the XXX didn't replace the 5150(like it was supposed to).

The reason was because it was never supposed to as they're two entirely different amps.:idea:

Honestly it's just a matter of taste. I will say you gotta put a little work into the XXX, because stock it's not all that inspiring. Tube swap and figuring out it's EQ will go a long way. Personally I prefer ultra amps over 5150s

Archived