Mesa Recording Preamp vs Axe FX

jordanstreet

• Members

So there are lots of comparisons between the axe fx and triaxis, but ive yet to find anything involving the mesa recording pre. My purpose here is to get a solid recording tone and am not interested in the millions of effects the axe fx has. I've used guitar rig, amplitube, revalver, waves gtr, and a bunch of free sims. I've used my jvm direct out and all the above with the demo recabi impulses. I've tried the tonelab and gt10 as well, im in a dorm so micing is out of the question other wise i wouldnt be looking into dropping 1000 on another solution lol

For clarification this is what I'm talking about

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectRecPre

thanks guys!

• Members

POD HD series is pretty damn good. You won't get very Recto sound from a Tonelab and the GT10 is horrible imo. Did you try a mesa preamp at a store yet to see if you like it? I think if most had a choice and your same situation for recording (quiet), they go modeling.

• Members

you know I tried out a triple recto at guitar center back when I was picking out a head and after trying lots of things I went with my JVM. It sounded the best for my purposes. Really I'm just considering the recto recording preamp because it's "supposedly" designed for recording and I figured I could get lots of tones similar to my JVM not just the chugga chug recto tones people usually are after.

• Members

So there are lots of comparisons between the axe fx and triaxis, but ive yet to find anything involving the mesa recording pre. My purpose here is to get a solid recording tone and am not interested in the millions of effects the axe fx has. I've used guitar rig, amplitube, revalver, waves gtr, and a bunch of free sims. I've used my jvm direct out and all the above with the demo recabi impulses. I've tried the tonelab and gt10 as well,
im in a dorm so micing is out of the question
other wise i wouldnt be looking into dropping 1000 on another solution lol

thanks guys!

for that purpose, I'd go with the AxeFx.

• Members

I used a RectoPre for a few years into a 2:100 and two Mesa Recto cabs. I liked it way better than a Dual Rec head. I got many compliments on my live sound.

Most could not believe it was a Recto anything.(in a good way)

I have gone direct with it to record.

There is no comparison imho. Go with the AxeFx.

Mark

• Members

So there are lots of comparisons between the axe fx and triaxis, but ive yet to find anything involving the mesa recording pre. My purpose here is to get a solid recording tone and am not interested in the millions of effects the axe fx has. I've used guitar rig, amplitube, revalver, waves gtr, and a bunch of free sims. I've used my jvm direct out and all the above with the demo recabi impulses. I've tried the tonelab and gt10 as well, im in a dorm so micing is out of the question other wise i wouldnt be looking into dropping 1000 on another solution lol

thanks guys!

IMHO, if you can't get decent recorded tone out of Amplitube 3 or Revalver (or some of the other items you cite), you should look into your recording setup/methods rather than buying more gear. It'd be flat out retarded to drop the $$ for a Mesa or Axe for recording simple direct amp tones if you're incapable of getting a good sound with tools that are already perfectly capable of doing so.

• Members

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I can get tones that 90% of people would be fine with, and If I was making vocal music, or any other type of music where guitar isn't the focal instrument, I wouldn't be posting this. Guitar is the main voice in my music and thats why I'm putting so much emphasis on it.

Archived