Dumble Tone On The Cheap?

lotlizard

• Members

After reading various boards for a while, checking out clips, and listening to a few recordings made with a Dumble, I have to admit I like that tone.

However, I like a few other tones as well, so I'm not interested in selling off any of my current gear to purchase a Dumble style amp. Therefore, I'm not in the market for any of the more expensive Dumble style amps out there.

So, what are the best options for a cheap, D-style tone? I've been working at it with my Mesa (using a seperate graphic EQ), and I can somewhere in the ballpark but it just isn't smooth enough.

Can an okay Dumble style tone be found for 1K, 1.5K, or 2k (about my limit for an amp)? Is there a pedal which will get me close?

I have a buddy with a Ceriatone JCM800 style amp which sounds darn close to my JCM800. Are Ceriatone's Dumble inspired offerings as good?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, but I've stumbled across some of his threads when researching Dumbles on Google. Years ago I had a Flextone, and used the Dumble model quite a bit. The Flextone wasn't a bad amp for what it was and the price, but I prefer the "umph" (the only way I know to describe it) that a tube amp has. I do own an Eleven Rack, so I'm not totally opposed to digital or solid state, but I tend to prefer those units for home use.

• Members

I've considered an Axe, but I am convinced a good FRFR setup is needed to fully appreciate it. Once I factor in the cost of the Axe, speakers, and a foot controller, it becomes cost prohibitive for me.

I could easily sell my pedal board and cover the cost of the Axe, but I'm married to my pedals (particularly my CE-2, which I have for nearly 25 years) even though I tend to only use effects when working with a cover band.

• Members

There is a "183" model on the Ceriatone page. Is that what you are referring to? The Ceriatone prices are actually pretty good. Of course, there is the whole speaker choice issue as well.

A head and a 1X12 cab would be perfect for grab and go type of situations. I'm really trying to nail that smooth fusion tone for my background music gigs.

• Members

There is a "183" model on the Ceriatone page. Is that what you are referring to? The Ceriatone prices are actually pretty good. Of course, there is the whole speaker choice issue as well.

A head and a 1X12 cab would be perfect for grab and go type of situations. I'm really trying to nail that smooth fusion tone for my background music gigs.

No, I am referring to Tag's Quinn clone. But I don't know if it has a relationship with Ceriatone somehow :snax:

• Members

I discovered the Quinn Amps stuff earlier today, but the prices (starting at $2800) is more than I want to spend right now. They are probably great amps for the money, but I'm trying to go low dollar after years of going high dollar. Plus, this is something I want to use for an unexciting, yet profitable, side project. Spending too much on the amp will cut into my profit margin and affect my ability to pay for my gender reassignment surgery (that last line is a joke).

That Klein-ulator box on the Ceriatone site looks interesting as well. If it will smooth out the tone on my Mesa, that might do the trick. I believe this would require modding the loop on my Mesa to be parallel rather than serial, but that is no big deal.

• Members

No, I am referring to Tag's Quinn clone. But I don't know if it has a relationship with Ceriatone somehow
:snax:

yeah they should be the same amp hence the 183 #.

TAGs original dumble is #183.

and when it gets to clones if your talking about a good job..it isnt close or almost the real the thing...if you get the components right and the exact same circut scheme then it dosent matter if its a clone cause it should sound exactly the same. aside from speaker and the guiatar you use.

• Members

Can an okay Dumble style tone be found for 1K, 1.5K, or 2k (about my limit for an amp)? Is there a pedal which will get me close?

You can't get true Dumble tone until you've spent at least $10k.

The amp itself doesn't really matter. As long as you've totally over paid for the amp, you'll get that tone.

If you can find someone selling a Gorilla amp for over $10k, snap it up. :cop:

Archived