Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• darren0203
    started a topic Recommend me a boost please

Recommend me a boost please

Thinking about getting a boost pedal and i've never used or tried one...well as a boost anyway. This is kinda new for me because I don't really like having pedals or effects because I always spend more time tweeking then playing, but i'm interested to see what results i'll get so i'm gonna give in and get one. I've been checking out the Fulltone GT500 because it has bass and treble controls. Also, does the Metal Muff work well as a boost? Will I notice much difference if all I use is a $40 DS1?

• darren0203
    replied
    So I guess this means now that i'm finally done being an amp whore I will turn into a pedal whore to try all thier different sounds...well at least it'll be cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• darren0203
    replied
    Darren, the thing is that very few pedals are 100% transparent. Most of them will impart SOME type of character on the sound.

People seem to lump "tubescreamers" into their own category because they impart quite a bit of character into the sound. Some like it, some dont and various types of tube screamers or spin offs of the TS circuitry will all sound a little different.

other pedals may not have AS much effect on the sound as a tube screamer based circuit but at teh same time either the same amount or more saturation or gain that the pedal can add but still be referred to as a "clean" boost because of the lack of character it applies to the sound when engaged.

So for this reason I personally classify a "clean boost" as an overdrive pedal that doesn't affect the tone much at all that the gain knob can also be set all the way down and the volume knob on the pedal raised up to the point at which it increases preamp saturation without having to rely on the diodes or whatever inside the pedal itself to increase the gain.

Long story short, find a pedal that has a voice (or lack there of) that when engaged does to the sound what you want the amp to do.

Different pedals can really surprise you when it comes to assuming that one certain type pedal will sound the same through all amps. It's not true.

Thanks that definitely helped fill in the blanks.

Leave a comment:

• FastRedPonyCar
    replied
    Darren, the thing is that very few pedals are 100% transparent. Most of them will impart SOME type of character on the sound.

People seem to lump "tubescreamers" into their own category because they impart quite a bit of character into the sound. Some like it, some dont and various types of tube screamers or spin offs of the TS circuitry will all sound a little different.

other pedals may not have AS much effect on the sound as a tube screamer based circuit but at teh same time either the same amount or more saturation or gain that the pedal can add but still be referred to as a "clean" boost because of the lack of character it applies to the sound when engaged.

So for this reason I personally classify a "clean boost" as an overdrive pedal that doesn't affect the tone much at all that the gain knob can also be set all the way down and the volume knob on the pedal raised up to the point at which it increases preamp saturation without having to rely on the diodes or whatever inside the pedal itself to increase the gain.

Long story short, find a pedal that has a voice (or lack there of) that when engaged does to the sound what you want the amp to do.

Different pedals can really surprise you when it comes to assuming that one certain type pedal will sound the same through all amps. It's not true.

Leave a comment:

• Sheik_Yerbouti
    replied
    Well the one person said thier is a difference between a clean boost pedal and a TS type boost pedal, then a different person said you can make a TS type pedal into a clean boost pedal I do know the gain has to be low on the pedal for boosting a high gain amp.

Semantics, really. In practical, real-world terms, most of the recorded "clean boost" sounds you've heard have been some sort of overdrive tube screamer variant with the gain low/level high model. OCDs are probably the second most commonly used pedals for this purpose. There are certainly other pedals that can do a great job of it, and they all have their pros & cons, but for rock & metal, by far, "clean boost" is most commonly used to refer to an overdrive pedal set up for a clean boost sound.

Leave a comment:

• darren0203
    replied
    Gain low, level high. It's really quite simple.

Well the one person said thier is a difference between a clean boost pedal and a TS type boost pedal, then a different person said you can make a TS type pedal into a clean boost pedal I do know the gain has to be low on the pedal for boosting a high gain amp.

Leave a comment:

• Sixtonoize
    replied
    EVERYONE could use a Tubescreamer of some type in their arsenal IMO.

Truf.

I think I have like a half-dozen boost pedals of different flavors in my bag o' tricks.

Leave a comment:

• Norton666
    replied
    I've read the ZW-44 is basically a Boss SD-1.

Similar, but its a lot smoother to my ears and it doesnt have the high end spike that the SD-1 does

Leave a comment:

• ledvedder
    replied
    Nobody?

Gain low, level high. It's really quite simple.

Leave a comment:

• darren0203
    replied
    How can something like the CM-2 be like a clean boost? Can the TS, and RC Booster be clean also?

Nobody?

Leave a comment:

• ledvedder
    replied
    Im surprised no one has mentioned the MXR Zakk Wylde OD. I think it is a great od pedal. I prefer it over the OD808

I've read the ZW-44 is basically a Boss SD-1.

Leave a comment:

• Norton666
    replied
    Im surprised no one has mentioned the MXR Zakk Wylde OD. I think it is a great od pedal. I prefer it over the OD808

Leave a comment:

• darren0203
    replied
    How can something like the CM-2 be like a clean boost? Can the TS, and RC Booster be clean also?

Leave a comment:

• tilimo
    replied
    you should check out the rc booster (you will probably leave it on all the time like I do), it just makes your amp sound better. I also have a Fulldrive 2, a Keeley modded blues driver, and an OCD on my pedalboard. They are set to different types of overdrive from vintage to modern. My amp is either a headstrong lil king head into a bogner OS 2x12 or a fender PRRI 1x10 with NOS tubes and a weber speaker upgrade. Just a good old school ACDC type rock sound in a low wattage package - mic it up through the pa and it sounds awesome.....

Leave a comment:

• tetaJ
    replied
    Here, i will give you 3 possible candidates:

RC Booster
    Keeley Katana

And last, and this will serve as both the best OD you will ever play and a Booster:

Paul Cochrane's Tim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X