Recommend me a boost please

darren0203

• Members

Thinking about getting a boost pedal and i've never used or tried one...well as a boost anyway. This is kinda new for me because I don't really like having pedals or effects because I always spend more time tweeking then playing, but i'm interested to see what results i'll get so i'm gonna give in and get one. I've been checking out the Fulltone GT500 because it has bass and treble controls. Also, does the Metal Muff work well as a boost? Will I notice much difference if all I use is a $40 DS1?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Love mine

At $275, it's not cheap but what it does with the sound is nothing short of miraculous.

I wasn't overly impressed with the GT500 or fulldrive 2.

what are you wanting out of the pedal?

More gain, clean boost, tighter bass, more mids, etc?

I'm not sure exactly. I've been liking what i'm hearing in clips, I don't know if it's the tightening of anything or the pushing of the preamp that I seem to be digging. Though I woulnd't mind a little more bass in some of my amps...I like alot of mid and treble but I don't like it when it's overpowering and takes from the depth of the chugging. Mostly i'll be experementing and would rather get a good boost right off the bat.

• Members

Love mine

At $275, it's not cheap but what it does with the sound is nothing short of miraculous.

I wasn't overly impressed with the GT500 or fulldrive 2.

what are you wanting out of the pedal?

More gain, clean boost, tighter bass, more mids, etc?

Why did this link spaz out on me?

• Members

So far, the BB Preamp MB is the best I've used. It has three EQ knobs, 24 dB (or is it 30?) of clean boost, and lots of nice dirt if you want it. Very versatile. Easily beats all the boosts I've tried.

I still keep a Tubescreamer, though, because I prefer it for certain applications. (E.g., fuzz --> tubescreamer --> clean amp.)

• Members

EVERYONE could use a Tubescreamer of some type in their arsenal IMO.

This. I've tried a bunch of other nice overdrives & gain boxes and it really is hard to top a good tube screamer for a clean boost, IMO. The Bad Monkey is probably the best, cheapest option, and for a little more, you can pick up a TS9, which can be easily modded into a boutique-quality pedal.

There are a lot of great choices out there, and no one pedal is for everybody, so try as many as you can for yourself, preferrably with your own rig, and make up your own mind. That said, there's a good reason why Tube Screamers are so popular and prevalent, though! :thu:

• Members

I really like clean boosts myself....

I have had three really good boosts, but each work better with specific amps. I had a Zoom PD-01 (which had a clean boost function) and it sounded the best with my Rocktron Vendetta (Egnater tube amp), a Lovekraft Mojo Drive which sounded absolutely amazing with my Marshall DSL 100 and a MXR MC-401 which is more of a jack of all trades pedal that just seems to work in every aspect. It sounded great with both my Marshall DSL and my Peavey Classic 50.

The Zoom pedal is all analog and is quite hard to find....I was a fool and sold mine (I actually had 2) for $40 a pop, they have been selling in the upper $80 to lower $90 range (I snagged them for $35 a piece NOS). The Zoom is flat out awesome! I would love to get another of each of those, but I have been very content with my MXR unit.

Cole

• Members

This. I've tried a bunch of other nice overdrives & gain boxes and it really is hard to top a good tube screamer for a clean boost, IMO. The Bad Monkey is probably the best, cheapest option, and for a little more, you can pick up a TS9, which can be easily modded into a boutique-quality pedal.

There are a lot of great choices out there, and no one pedal is for everybody, so try as many as you can for yourself, preferrably with your own rig, and make up your own mind. That said, there's a good reason why Tube Screamers are so popular and prevalent, though!
:thu:

Sounds like good advice, the tube screamer has been holding it down for quite awhile...also...I like your avatar. Now if only more people lived near me that have crappy gear, I could try thier stuff.

• Members

I really like clean boosts myself....

I have had three really good boosts, but each work better with specific amps. I had a Zoom PD-01 (which had a clean boost function) and it sounded the best with my Rocktron Vendetta (Egnater tube amp), a Lovekraft Mojo Drive which sounded absolutely amazing with my Marshall DSL 100 and a MXR MC-401 which is more of a jack of all trades pedal that just seems to work in every aspect. It sounded great with both my Marshall DSL and my Peavey Classic 50.

The Zoom pedal is all analog and is quite hard to find....I was a fool and sold mine (I actually had 2) for $40 a pop, they have been selling in the upper $80 to lower $90 range (I snagged them for $35 a piece NOS). The Zoom is flat out awesome! I would love to get another of each of those, but I have been very content with my MXR unit.

Cole

I was hoping to get a boost that can be clean and dirty, thats why I had my eye on the GT500.

• Members

EVERYONE could use a Tubescreamer of some type in their arsenal IMO.

+1

A lot of the stuff out there is based on a TS type circuit anyway.

My two favourite boosts have been my TC Integrated Pre (no switch though) and my Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ. Both basically just clean, tweakable boosts (both long discontinued though). After that my Crispy Cream Treble Booster (again, discontinued) and my TS-9. The TS-9 went very nicely with my Mark III. :)

Archived