What causes a Kidney stone?

charveldan

• Members

i think it has something to do with how your body assimilates calcium or other minerals- usually bad diets seem to aggravate them. i think coffee and tea are old scapegoats- but mostly it has to do with being chronically dehydrated- which is certainly assisted by caffeinated beverages... you just have to have a high sodium diet already to crystallized the {censored} in your kidneys.. but i ain't a doctor..

• Members

Ever mixed salt solutions in chemistry class ?

Often they'd form 2 new salts. And in some cases one will remain a solution and the other will become a solid and fall down to the bottom of the test tube.

So when you get 2 different salts in your bloodstream, this may occur. The kidneys filter the stuff out of your blood. You should pee it all out, but some of it might stay behind inside the kidney, and build up over time, creating pallets of salts, or stones if you will.

Passing one can be one of the most painfull things you can experience.

There are food supplements available that'll reduce this build-up in your kidneys, and may even prevent it all together.

I'm not a doctor either. But this is how I came to understand how it happens.

• Members

I have suffered from kidney stones for the last 20 years. I get them in the summer, and it is my understanding that it is mostly an individual trait....some folks get stones some don't.

For some it is so problematic they are on dissability, they get so many stones they cannot function. I have been lucky (knock on wood) I haven't had a stone episode in 2 years.

Very painful, in fact when I feel a stone moving....I go immietedly to the emergency room, I don't wait until I am doubled over in pain, and then the dilaudid ;)

I have heard that controlling diet can help one to avoid stone formation, but that never worked for me, and all of the people I know who suffer from this problem are the same way, genetics.

One thing keep moving, this type of pain is made worse when you try and be still, take the pain pills they give you until the stone has passed and keep doing your normal routine as much as possible.

• Members

A lot has to do with your body chemistry and how it excretes various minerals (particularly calcium and oxalic acid, but also phosphate, uric acid, and the amino acid cysteine). Some people are just "stone makers", and no matter how many times you remove them they make more.

Diet plays a role as well for some people (if you are predisposed to having stones you should avoid certain foods), and various metabolic disorders (hypercalcaemia, hyperuricaemia, cysteinuria, and renal tubular acidosis to name but a few) can cause stones, but for the vast majority of people no good reason is found.

If you have them once though you'll probably have them again.

• Members

i had them over the summer and i had to spend a night in the hospital getting a morphine drip thats how {censored}ing painful it was. I had a massive calcium buildup due to too many oxylates from VItamin water and i was not drinking enough water to hydrate myself. I thought i was getting hit in the lower back and side by a baseball bat every 30 seconds for 5 hours. I wanted to die.

• Members

Exactly what jnurp said, " I thought i was getting hit in the lower back and side by a baseball bat every 30 seconds for 5 hours." I had one so big it wouldn't pass, had to have surgery to get it out. To answer the OP, the list my doctor gave me of food not to eat (high in oxylates) did include coffee, this one doesn't though ??

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/examforms-medicalintuitive/list_of_high_oxalate_foods.htm

Unfortunately for me, it's about everything that I eat since I'm a vegetarian. Like was said earlier, dehydration is a leading cause also. And strangely enough, on the list above is lemon peel, but the best thing to drink (according to my surgeion) is lemon juice.

Archived