X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Ibanez RG7621 content

I picked this up (a 1999 MIJ Ibanez RG7621) on eBay for a decent price:

The pictures aren't too exciting, but, well, it's not the most exciting guitar to look at. It's a black RG.

I bought this to replace my Schecter Avenger 7. The Schecter plays well, but it has a big fat Schecter neck. I wanted something with a thin neck and better upper fret access. As soon as I played this RG, I knew I was going to like it better than the Schecter. The RG came strung with a heavier string gauge than I prefer, but thanks to the thin Wizard 7 neck and jumbo frets, it was easier to play than the Schecter. Now that I've restrung it to my custom gauge, it's even better. I'm finding it much easier to solo on this than on the Schecter, and presumably it will get better as I play it more.

These RG7621s come with DiMarzio "New 7" pickups, which were made for Ibanez for these guitars for a few years. If my research is correct, the neck pickup is very similar to a 7-string version of a Super 2, while the bridge pickup is similar to a 7-string version of a Super Distortion. I've never played a Super 2, but the bridge does remind me the SD I had in my Heartfield Talon a few years ago. The bridge pickup has a lot of midrange and gets pinch harmonics easily. It stays thick on the high notes and so can work for both soloing and riffing. It could use a bit more clarity on the B-string. I prefer this pickup to the Blaze I have in the Schecter. The Blaze sounds better on the 7th string than the New 7, but I like the New 7 better on anything in the normal range of a guitar.

The neck pickup has more treble and snap than I usually use. (In my other humbucker guitars, I have a Liquifire, Tone Zone, and Air Norton 7 for neck pickups.) Still, it's quite full and nice, and sounds good for the range of the guitar. It even could be used for riffing on the 7th string, which I could never do with the Air Norton 7 I have in the Schecter. I'll probably keep it and leave the AN7 in the Schecter. I suspect I'll end up putting the Liquifire 7/Crunch Lab 7 combo in this guitar eventually.

The five-way selector switch is . The positions are 1) neck humbucker in series, 2) neck humbucker with coils in parallel, 3) both humbuckers in series, 4) inner coils of neck and bridge in parallel, 5) bridge humbucker in series.
    Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

That's a nice guitar. I bet it's nice and resonant with the string thru bridge.
    LEADFOOT RECORDING

Comment

Haven't tried the Liquifire 7 and Crunch Lab 7 pickups yet, but am considering it. Other than those, I'd probably consider a TZ7/AN7 or BC/AN7 combo, depending on how the thing sounds unplugged. Can't stand those New 7 pickups personally.

I've got my RG7620 wired up with a three way, with push-pulls for separate parallel switching of the two pickups. The RG2127X is similar, but push-push pots to coil split the pickups. Much prefer that to a 5-way.
      Originally Posted by Norton666 (15/07/2009)

Give it 6 months and the Axe-Fx will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Johnson Millenium stuff.

Comment

HNGD man!
        Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
        Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

Those are cool guitars. Used to have a 7620 would like a non-trem..
          Originally Posted by Light em Up

the internet is the place where fools teach fools..

Comment

RG's are wonderful guitars, especially the 7-strings- I'll never get rid of mine.

Happy NGD, here's to many happy years together
            Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

I'm considering putting on some Jocomo decals on it. It's just a touch too boring for me. I didn't buy it for the looks, but it just needs something.
              Good deals with: the avenger, Zepsongs, BryanFTWL, gibbyshibby, marshmi, Ovid9, emptyparadigm, thesockmonster, Krunch79, VoodooChild24, espdna, StopReferencing, mhn433, NixerX, Mood Sphinx, itkindaworks, SomeDayRockstar, guller1, metz420(TGP)

Comment

needs a white paint job!

nah maybe some white (or color of yer choice) f-hole decals
                Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

Extremely comfortable necks on those IMO
                  Gear:
                  Ibanez RG550DY, RG7621, RG520QS, S440
                  Schecter C1 Elite
                  Fender HM Strat

Peavey Ultra Plus
                  Engl E212VH 2x12 horizontal cab with v30s
                  Line 6 Toneport UX2

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=angusftw

Comment

That's just begging to be swirled.
                    Fender Highway One Telecaster | Squier Telecaster | Squier Stratocaster | LTD EC-600
                    Vox AC30CC2

Positive Transactions

Comment

The New7s are very similar to the Blazes, I've found. Not quite as hot as a blaze (), but hotter than something like an Air Norton. I really like the New7 in the neck, actually. It leaves something to be desired in the bridge, though.

The way to spice up those axes is to hit up banjomikez on ebay and get you some brightly-colored dimarzios for it.
                      More notes per second = More emotion per second.

ESP Mirage Custom (EMG 85, EMG HA, EMG SPC)
                      Peavey 6505+

Good deals with: Lucius, Thesense, zangzadam, 64DUECE, EMGSTRAT, ornjbird, Gatelyne.

ACTIVE PICKUPS CLUB

Comment

Screw the Jocomo decals. That thing is so simple that it's awesome! Like a machine made for metal. I bought a Jocomo skull sticker that I was gonna put on my MH-1000, but I decided to keep it simple.
                        Guitars:
                        - ESP Original Forest GT
                        - Edwards E-LP-98LTS
                        - LTD M-1000
                        - Seagull S6

Amp:
                        - Mesa/Boogie Mark IV

Effects:
                        - Maxon OD808
                        - MXR Smart gate
                        - MXR Carbon copy
                        - TC Electronic Hall of Fame
                        - TC Electronic Polytune

Comment

that looks like a 7421?
                          GUITARS
                          ESP M3
                          ESP Horizon
                          Edwards Viper
                          Edwards LPC
                          LTD EC-1000
                          LTD H-1000

Fender Highway One Tele

Ibanez Jem 7pbk
                          Ibanez RG 2570
                          Ibanez S 1520bp

AMPS
                          ENGL Blackmore
                          Mesa Boogie 2CH Dual Recto
                          Marshall 1960a
                          Mesa 212 Recto cab

Comment

I used to have one of those. Very sturdy, especially for the basswood body, and it had really nice tuning machines on it. As long as the strings were stretched thoroughly, it hardly ever went out of tune. I think mine had the "Blaze" pickups in it, though. Really nice guitars, especially for the price. HNGD!!!
                            Originally Posted by jnurp

murdoch always brings teh lulz.

Originally Posted by RockStarBassist

Also MurdochV wins thread.

Originally Posted by sleewell

Murdoch'd = when you think you have something funny to say only to hit post and that son of a bitch said it 10x funnier.

Comment

that looks like a 7421?

Yes, you are right. I missed that. It's a transition model with the RG7621 neck but with the RG7421 body and pickups. Damn. Now I have to decide whether to keep it or contact the seller.

Comment

Working...
                              X