best small fender tube amp?

alexb631

• Members

I'm looking for a nice fender tube amp that I can carry around easier than my current amp.

my price range is around $500 ($700 max).

It will be mostly a practice amp, but I also want to be able to use it for shows if I want, so it will need to be able to get pretty loud and still sound good.

also I play a lot of different types of music, but I'm looking for nice cleans, but also something that can get bluesy and beefy if needed. I was leaning towards a blues JR, but I heard these sound pretty bad when they're turned up very loud...anyone have experiences with these?

• Members

I'm looking for a nice fender tube amp that I can carry around easier than my current amp.

my price range is around $500 ($700 max).

It will be mostly a practice amp, but I also want to be able to use it for shows if I want, so it will need to be able to get pretty loud and still sound good.

also I play a lot of different types of music, but I'm looking for nice cleans, but also something that can get bluesy and beefy if needed. I was leaning towards a blues JR, but I heard these sound pretty bad when they're turned up very loud...anyone have experiences with these?

I've had one for a while. Great practice or small gig amp. They can get kind of farty at full tilt but I dont think this is an amp you get to run that loud anyway. IMO great bang for the buck

• Members

A used Deluxe RI would be pretty close to your price range. A silverface Princeton would be close as well. I prob would stay away from the Champs if you're looking for a really versatile home practice amp....what they do, they do very, very well, but there are a lot of other amps out there that will give you more headroom and volume for about the same money as a Champ.

Haven't played the Tweaker that RB mentioned, but they get good reviews and they seem to be pretty versatile, so that might be worth checking out.

• Members

The Egnater Tweaker out Fenders anything in it's price range. Seriously great Deluxe/Princeton type tones.
:love:
[/quote

We have had more of those amps in the shop lately than I care to say. Me thinks they are not made all that great.

Interesting. I haven't heard about anyone having issues yet, but...

Mine pretty much lives in my car. It gets tossed around a bunch, and the tolex has already started to wear on the corners. However it sounds great and no reliability issues to date. Guess I should start being easier on it...

• Members

pro jr

:thu: For the money these are great little amps. I have one I use it at Blues Jams, it keeps up with the Blues Jr's and Classic 30's. I use it with a RP 50 FX pedal for reverb and OD but for it's size I like it better than the 2 Blues Jr's I used to own, just as loud but better tone. The only thing I can say is it would be a better amp with a 12" speaker which might make it a tad cleaner at higher volume for Jazz.

• Members

Early 80's Rivera designed super champ.

Best little amp Fender ever made! But they will cost you $600+ today. If you find one cheaper buy it and never let it go. I'm just getting ready to re-cap mine, after 27 years it's about time. I still have all the original tubes (saved) and they work and test good, and 2 full sets of spaire, NOS.

Archived