Who is the most amazing player that did nothing that impressed you?

ComOp

• Members

For me it has to be Shawn Lane. Amazing talent, obviously a monster player, but I just never felt any kind of passion from his playing or music. It was plain, lifeless and dull to me. Yet, I would kill to have even a little bit of the talent that guy had.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John Petrucci for sure. Pretty boring to me.

And, I pretty much despise Yngvie. Not only does he do nothing for me, but he's an arrogant pric as well.

I am with you on Petrucci for the most part, however I did like one DT song I heard. Yngwie did a few albums I actually enjoy, even though I am totally with you on the arrogant prick part.

• Members

I am with you on Petrucci for the most part, however I did like one DT song I heard. Yngwie did a few albums I actually enjoy, even though I am totally with you on the arrogant prick part.

As long as Petrucci isn't playing a solo, he doesn't usually bother me. I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

• Members

Petruccis an odd one - I like much of what he does thats not lead, I hate 95% of his leads.

Lanes a good call. Great, boring as hell.

Actually, I'll shorten this post - the only massively talented players (re: shredders) that I actually enjoy listening to are Satch, Jeff Loomis and the (once :() mighty Jason Becker.

Edit: oh, and buckethead. Buried in among his (absurdly varied and massive) discography is some outstandingly cool playing.

• Members

I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

yeah, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs :facepalm: just like running to the mailbox. To deny Yngwie the credit he is due is sacrilege. He may be an arrogant prick, but he turned the world on its ear with his talent. He is one of a SELECT FEW players who have made such an impact.

• Members

Just wondering what Lane stuff you guys have heard, cause he does some of the most emotional (IMO of course!) stuff I'ver heard in a long time.

Like Epilogue For Lisa, The Hurt the Joy, Until We Meet Again and a few more.

In fairness, the only stuff of his I have heard are the video clips and audio clips I have found on the internet via his site and googling. Most of that material is live so I figured it was a pretty good representation of his playing.

• Members

As long as Petrucci isn't playing a solo, he doesn't usually bother me. I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

You should try to outdo Yngwie by learning a bunch of Paganini riffs.

• Members

In fairness, the only stuff of his I have heard are the video clips and audio clips I have found on the internet via his site and googling. Most of that material is live so I figured it was a pretty good representation of his playing.

powers of 10 - is a lot different than what you'd expect from the youtube live shawn lane stuff. not all bravura music like guthrie g.

quite diverse composer. that said, i like it, but didn't *really* connect with that record.

• Members

yeah, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs
:facepalm:
just like running to the mailbox. To deny Yngwie the credit he is due is sacrilege. He may be an arrogant prick, but he turned the world on its ear with his talent. He is one of a SELECT FEW players who have made such an impact.

Really, I can probably name about 20 or so more influential players off the top of my head, and they're not all metal. Imagine that. I'm not saying it doesn't take practice to learn classical riffs, but Yngwie couldn't hold his own next to a good classical player to save his {censored}ing life. When those guys play, you can actually get all of the subtleties that were intende that inevitably get lost in Yngwie's playing.

• Members

I never could get into Vai, i can hear that he's a good guitar player, but he's a pretty substandard song writer. Its like someone who approaches songwriting as a complex math problem.

I like Satch though.

To each his own, but Satches songwriting is much more simplistic than Vai's. Check out Fire Garden Suite by Vai. Some Zappa influence. I like em both, but I prefer Vai, and for similar reasons that you listed except that I find Vai's songwriting to be much more interesting.

• Members

On the topic of Satch.... Anyone else think Chickenfoot is not a good fit for him? Man, talk about lifeless. Every time I hear their radio song it makes me sad... How could a band with that many huge players sound so bland.

Archived