Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most amazing player that did nothing that impressed you?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the most amazing player that did nothing that impressed you?

For me it has to be Shawn Lane. Amazing talent, obviously a monster player, but I just never felt any kind of passion from his playing or music. It was plain, lifeless and dull to me. Yet, I would kill to have even a little bit of the talent that guy had.
    "A ****************ing elephant is a miracle. If people can't see a ****************ing miracle in a ****************ing elephant, then life must suck for them, because an elephant is a ****************ing miracle. So is a giraffe." - Voilent J, Scholar and Poet

pretty much all the big name shredders

Comment

John Petrucci for sure. Pretty boring to me.

And, I pretty much despise Yngvie. Not only does he do nothing for me, but he's an arrogant pric as well.

Originally Posted by BrendanO

It's not prostitution as long as you film it.

Comment

And, I pretty much despise Yngvie. Not only does he do nothing for me, but he's an arrogant pric as well.

these
        BAND
        CRABCORE
        e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
        Fender American Roadhouse Strat
        ESP Hybrid II
        Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
        Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

I am with you on Petrucci for the most part, however I did like one DT song I heard. Yngwie did a few albums I actually enjoy, even though I am totally with you on the arrogant prick part.
          "A ****************ing elephant is a miracle. If people can't see a ****************ing miracle in a ****************ing elephant, then life must suck for them, because an elephant is a ****************ing miracle. So is a giraffe." - Voilent J, Scholar and Poet

Comment

I am with you on Petrucci for the most part, however I did like one DT song I heard. Yngwie did a few albums I actually enjoy, even though I am totally with you on the arrogant prick part.

As long as Petrucci isn't playing a solo, he doesn't usually bother me. I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

Originally Posted by BrendanO

It's not prostitution as long as you film it.

Comment

Petruccis an odd one - I like much of what he does thats not lead, I hate 95% of his leads.

Lanes a good call. Great, boring as hell.

Actually, I'll shorten this post - the only massively talented players (re: shredders) that I actually enjoy listening to are Satch, Jeff Loomis and the (once ) mighty Jason Becker.

Edit: oh, and buckethead. Buried in among his (absurdly varied and massive) discography is some outstandingly cool playing.

Comment

Just wondering what Lane stuff you guys have heard, cause he does some of the most emotional (IMO of course!) stuff I'ver heard in a long time.

Like Epilogue For Lisa, The Hurt the Joy, Until We Meet Again and a few more.

Comment

I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

yeah, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs just like running to the mailbox. To deny Yngwie the credit he is due is sacrilege. He may be an arrogant prick, but he turned the world on its ear with his talent. He is one of a SELECT FEW players who have made such an impact.
                  Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
                  Warmoth homebuilt Strat
                  Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
                  Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

I'm unimpressed by every player that you like. Period. They all suck big green monkey dick. My hate is stronger than your hate you pathetic pussy's...
                    Don't hate the game - hate the player!

Comment

Just wondering what Lane stuff you guys have heard, cause he does some of the most emotional (IMO of course!) stuff I'ver heard in a long time.

Like Epilogue For Lisa, The Hurt the Joy, Until We Meet Again and a few more.

In fairness, the only stuff of his I have heard are the video clips and audio clips I have found on the internet via his site and googling. Most of that material is live so I figured it was a pretty good representation of his playing.

Comment

Hate Yngwie. Respect his talent, his music puts me to sleep and his personality makes me want to punch him in the face.

Love Petrucci, Gilbert, and Satch.

Comment

As long as Petrucci isn't playing a solo, he doesn't usually bother me. I hold out nothing for Yngwie though. To me, all he did was learn a bunch of Bach riffs and played them with a strat and a Marshall. Somehow, that makes him god in his eyes. I don't get it.

You should try to outdo Yngwie by learning a bunch of Paganini riffs.

Comment

IMO Steve Vai. Clearly a lot of technical and theorhetical ability yet his stuff is just missing something. I like Malmsteen's stuff but he is kind of one dimensional.

Comment

Buckethead and Marc Rizzo
                              Amp:
                              Laney AOR 50
                              Emperor 4x12
                              Clips
                              Buyer/Seller References

Comment

Working...
                              X