OT: Portnoy tries to come crawling back to DT

madrigal77

• Members

Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has revealed that he made a recent attempt to rejoin his former bandmates but was rebuffed by the group he formed and led for 25 years. Writing on his official forum, Portnoy states, "Just for the record, this is indeed true..

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. Without Portnoy, they are worthless. It's like Rush without Neil Peart.

I took his comment to mean the whole band should break up because they suck with or without Portnoy. I'd agree. Dream Theater is boring and I really couldn't care less about them. However, the other members do deserve some credit and respect for not taking the douche back.

• Members

I took his comment to mean the whole band should break up because they suck with or without Portnoy. I'd agree. Dream Theater is boring and I really couldn't care less about them. However, the other members do deserve some credit and respect for not taking the douche back.

I always thought they were a Rush wanna-be band. Never was much of a fan.

• Members

It has always seemed a little strange that Portnoy would "quit" Dream Theater and be so public about it.

I'll bet that he and the band never planned to split up... It was all a publicity stunt to get people talking about Dream Theater. Even though Portnoy toured with A7X, Dream Theater was pretty much idle this year anyway.

Those prog rock/metal guys are such drama queens...

• Members

Link

:lol:
Epic fail by Portnoy. I'm so glad they didn't take him back. I'm excited to see what DT will do with a new drummer and without Portnoy in the diver's seat.

+1, Portnoy was trying to turn DT into a heavy metal band, and it simply isn't working with that singer's voice. His singing was much better on Score, compared to Budokan. DT needs to go back to being progressive. A Change of Seasons was my favorite. And the title track on Octavarium.

• Members

LOL, the first thing I thought when reading this was that Mike is just trying to make himself look better to his "fans". He has always seemed to love to hear himself talk, or in this case type. GOod on the DT guys for standing their ground.

Exactly. Without Portnoy, they are worthless. It's like Rush without Neil Peart.

I'm pretty sure DT could stand to branch out and get back to being interesting without Portnoy and the drivers seat. The last 5 years or so of Dream Theater have been the relationship equivalent of "seeing other people" before finally realizing that they just don't give a {censored} anymore and ending it. They completely lost their musical identity when they started ripping off Muse (great band though) and ramped up the self plagiarism until they became a parody of themselves. Petrucci lyrics have not helped ANYONE either.

• Members
+1, Portnoy was trying to turn DT into a heavy metal band, and it simply isn't working with that singer's voice. His singing was much better on Score, compared to Budokan. DT needs to go back to being progressive. A Change of Seasons was my favorite. And the title track on Octavarium.

Actually I don't mind the metal direction. I think that has as much to do with Petrucci as Portnoy. He just seems to be into playing the brutz right now. I'm cool with that. Actually my favorite DT album is Systematic Chaos. I'd like to see more prog along with the brutz though. And less cheesy crap like Wither and The Best of Times.

Actually the thing I'm most excited about with Portnoy gone is we won't have to bear his horrible grunting backup vocals anymore :lol:.

• Members

LOL, the first thing I thought when reading this was that Mike is just trying to make himself look better to his "fans". He has always seemed to love to hear himself talk, or in this case type. GOod on the DT guys for standing their ground.

I'm pretty sure DT could stand to branch out and get back to being interesting without Portnoy and the drivers seat. The last 5 years or so of Dream Theater have been the relationship equivalent of "seeing other people" before finally realizing that they just don't give a {censored} anymore and ending it. They completely lost their musical identity when they started ripping off Muse (great band though) and ramped up the self plagiarism until they became a parody of themselves. Petrucci lyrics have not helped ANYONE either.

Oh, God. I love Petrucci. He's my favorite guitar player. But he's REALLY got to stop writing lyrics. I don't know who's going to take over the lyric duties, but they should even farm them out if they have to. A Nightmare to Remember and Count of Tuscany are some of the worst lyrics EVER!!

• Members

In fact I can't hear his playing most of the time...

Portnoy did hit rock bottom didn't he? I guess playing through 15000 small toms consequtively and double bassing the {censored} on every song isn't cool anymore! He got two rejections in less than a month?

• Members

Thomas Lang or Vigil Donati would be epic for a really heavy record or two...no more {censored}ty lyrics and spitting all over the stage like the Drama Lhama.

I think this is the REAL reason they don't want Douchenoy back, they were sick of dodging the prick's mucus missles! :o

What a {censored}ing drama queen diva!

I think A7X got tired of all that young {censored} asking them if the creepy hairy guy was their dad.

True story about the creepiness of Douchenoy: I went to the G3 show with Petrucci & Portnoy in Atlanta with my best friend and his hawt wife. We were hanging outside after the show getting some autographs when Douchenoy sent his drum roadie over to ask her if she wanted to "party" with them on the bus. When she asked "Gee, I dunno, can my husband come, too?", the guy just clammed up and walked away! :lol:

• Members

I saw them in 97/98 with Big Wreck (who handed them their ass) in ATL and afterwards, they wouldn't really do or say anything to those of us that waited.

Boogernoy rode his Harleyish bike up to Poughkeepsie for Machinehead and didn't really interact with all the people there...maybe there was some VIP room or something. I was a freak fo DT mid 90's and he was a big influence on my drumming, but I really can't take the schtick anymore. He should have evolved into a {censored}ing monster, but I am sick of his straight singles, quads, and sextuplets. His single stroke roll has become really good. He should learn some Mark Zonder....real odd times and doesn't rush the beat so much.

Archived