Power Amp for POD HD500

Cookie Monster

• Members

It's probably the same holy grail of tone pandering that always happens around here. I wouldn't be surprised if someone chimes in saying a bogner fish, lawl. I imagine you'd be just as happy with a $200 rocktron, or peavey.

yes except..... isnt the fish a preamp and the op was asking about poweramps?

• Members

I had an older Rocktron 300. It was really transparent, gives back exactly what you give it, just really loud. Really heard the difference in multiple pre-amps with it.

BUT, saying that, it did not work with processors very well for me, either the Zoom g9.2tt or a pod XT. I think they need a little something in the power amp to give it a more authentic feel. A MosValve power amp ended up doing the trick for me. I compared with a peavey 50/50 and mesa 2:90, and while the sound was noticeably more "tube-like", it did not justify the cost difference. Just my experience, YMMV

• Members

The HD500 already has good power amp modeling, contrary to popular opinion I say go with something solid state and transparent. If you like the way it sounds direct, you will like it through a cab with solid state power.

I used an SLA2 with my :snax: and it was perfect. Now I have a powered speaker and have ditched the amp/cab thing but IMO running a good modeler... that is modeling a tube power amp... through a tube power amp = mud. Tried it, SS wins.

In the days of the XT, etc... I would have said tube but things have changed. Some people just refuse to accept that.

• Members

If you use a traditional cab, you might want to try more full range speakers in them.

Eminence Beta 12 LTA

Fane Sovereign 12

Beyma 12GA50

I read things like this almost daily and I ask, WHY?

Are you speaking as if someone was wanting to use cab modeling? A guitar cab will never cut it, I don't care what speakers are in it. You would need a monitor or PA cab.

If not, use a cab that you like that has speakers in it that you like. If you're eliminating cab modeling, why would you want "full range" speakers?

• Members

Just so you know, I haven't even got the POD HD yet, but the truck is due here with it today.

I wonder if I can turn off power amp and cab modeling, and run this thing through my Titan's clean channel and my 2x12 Hellatone 60L cab just for now?

Yes, you can do that... but I wouldn't recommend it. Run it into your effects loop return, effectively using your titan as a power amp.

• Members

I read things like this almost daily and I ask, WHY?

Are you speaking as if someone was wanting to use cab modeling? A guitar cab will never cut it, I don't care what speakers are in it. You would need a monitor or PA cab.

If not, use a cab that you like that has speakers in it that you like. If you're eliminating cab modeling, why would you want "full range" speakers?

You don't have to have pa speakers with horns etc. Use the fuller range speakers in any guitar cab. They roll off like at 8K or so and work well using a SS power amp with modeler even with cab emulation active. You don't get the fizz or noise of a horn or compression driver either. That's how our other guitarist ran his rig. I did that with the snax and a pair of 1x12 peavey's (took out the scorpions). Sounds a lot better than disabling cab models too. On my GSP1101 with speaker comp active globally, it's even better. IIRC that speaker comp is a shelf filter that cuts freq above 7k.

Archived