So whats the deal with the madison divinity, i recall there was quick a bit of.......

Edge11

• Members

I played one at a GC once. Version 1. Actually not that bad of an amp - soundwise. I think it's basically a Marshall DSL rip-off, with duct tape mods and a contour knob that isn't even wired into the circuit. I think they were mostly made in China, but purported to be US made.

• Members

I played one at a GC once. Version 1. Actually not that bad of an amp - soundwise. I think it's basically a Marshall DSL rip-off, with duct tape mods and a contour knob that isn't even wired into the circuit. I think they were mostly made in China, but purported to be US made.

Wait what?

Did he design it so poorly that it has no effect or was it literally left disconnected.

• Members

At one point I posted gut shots of my amp, but I don't have the pics anymore. My Divinity was clean, clean, clean on the inside and sounded great. Not as much gain on tap as a lot of other modern high gainers, but enough. It didn't sound much like a DSL or TSL to me, but it had a bit of scooped Marshall flavor. Personally I like it more blended with another amp than I did on it's own, but they were cool. For 400 if it's in killer shape, I'd say it's a decent deal.

• Members

I think they were mostly made in China, but purported to be US made.

That's right. There was a scandal about this because the amps or website said, "Made in USA" or "Assembled in USA", but then people who looked in the chassis found stamps indicating it was made in China, apparently by the same company making the B-52 amps. (IIRC, the Madison and one of the B-52s are nearly the same, but just have some cosmetic differences.)

• Members

At one point I posted gut shots of my amp, but I don't have the pics anymore. My Divinity was clean, clean, clean on the inside and sounded great. Not as much gain on tap as a lot of other modern high gainers, but enough. It didn't sound much like a DSL or TSL to me, but it had a bit of scooped Marshall flavor. Personally I like it more blended with another amp than I did on it's own, but they were cool. For 400 if it's in killer shape, I'd say it's a decent deal.

Here we go again aye Nate??? I think yours sounded great when I used it. Heavy as {censored} I recall though. I would say $400 for a Divinity II is fair.

• Members

Here we go again aye Nate??? I think yours sounded great when I used it. Heavy as {censored} I recall though. I would say $400 for a Divinity II is fair.

Haha, Madison cannot escape anything on HCAF.

The company was really really great to me for someone in a no name band trying to get music out there (FTR, I was a "fully endorsed" artist and I got 2 4x12 cabs and a Divinity for free, and our bass player at the time got an 8x10 and 4x10 for free). They usually answered my emails or calls promptly and were up front about everything they did with me. Towards the end emails went unanswered or delayed, phone calls were not returned, so I knew the end was near.

I can say what WAS made in the USA were the headshells and cabs, amps were checked over and modded (if you wanted something special) here in the US, etc. The duct tape/contour pot stuff AFAIK was relegated to early, early amps that were dicked with by someone (be it Madison or someone else), not "factory standard".

WHen my amp was sent, I chose non standard tubes and a non standard bias. As soon as I got the amp, I cracked it open to see if there was any validity to the duct tape and contour knob stuff. The Divinity I got ( a revision from the early Divinitys, but prior to the Divinity II model name) had no contour knob at all (although there was a blank phono plug pot/control on the PCB, and no duct tape was found in my amp. I gigged it and rehearsed with it steadily for the time I had it and it never failed me and not once had an issue. It didn't buzz like some claimed, it was dead quiet. I used it on my bands second CD blended with a 6505+ and I REALLY liked it, especially live.

I did end up selling mine to fund new studio gear a while back...When time came I wanted to get a new one, the company was falling apart...I still miss the amp.

• Members

Go for it! i think they are nice amps i had 1 Really nice hi gain channel and nice clean its supposed to be be a Marshall Tsl based circuit Just ask JERRY P of FJA Mods .And yes they were made in the same place as B-52 amps if you look at the B-52 st100a and the Madison divinity they have the same type of features All in all for $400 its worth it

Archived