Need Help: 12ay7 vs 12ax7

tonaldeath

• Members

I've always used 12ax7 tubes in my amps. I'm wondering what making the switch to 12ay7 tubes will do. My goal is to squeeze a little more clean head room out of a 25 watt two-channel amp. It is sort of a 5e3 with a bit of jtm45 squeezed in.

I want more headroom, but I still want to be able to go balls out with my fuzz factory, and my OD pedals. Will 12ay7's allow all of this? I've heard you can put one 12ay7 in the 1st position... Would you guys recommend I do this, switch out all three, or just leave it alone?

Thanks!

EDIT: btw, the amp uses three preamps tubes, two power tubes, and a single rectifier tube. I'm using 6L6's in the power stage, and a 5U4 rectifier tube.

• Members

What is the actual amp? I mean, what circuit is it based on?

Going to an AX7 to an AY7 is a really big jump. There are three or four steps in between there. The 5751 is mostly a smoother, less bright tube compared to most of the others, but you don't lose much gain vs an AX7. I'd probably get an AT7, an AU7 and maybe an AY7 and just try them each out for a day.

• Members

What is the actual amp? I mean, what circuit is it based on?

Going to an AX7 to an AY7 is a really big jump. There are three or four steps in between there. The 5751 is mostly a smoother, less bright tube compared to most of the others, but you don't lose much gain vs an AX7. I'd probably get an AT7, an AU7 and maybe an AY7 and just try them each out for a day.

Thanks guys.

The Amp is a Frenzel Deluxe Plus. It is mostly based on the Fender 5e3 circuit. HERE.

Are you saying to just get ONE of each and try them in the 1st position, like I had mentioned?

• Members

Thanks guys.

The Amp is a Frenzel Deluxe Plus. It is mostly based on the Fender 5e3 circuit.

Are you saying to just get ONE of each and try them in the 1st position, like I had mentioned?

just traded mine. I would definitely try even a 12at7 before you go the 12ay route. may be exactly what you're looking for. try to find some tasty nos tubes for it :]

• Members

Casey, forgive me for being too tired and drained after a hellish day to properly decipher what you're saying...

Did you mean that you owned a Frenzel Deluxe Plus? IF so, did you try the 12at7 in the 1st position?

yes, I owned one haha. No I did not try the 12at7 in it, as I didn't have any problems with it that would warrant using one, but I've gone the 12at7 route in just about every other amp I've owned, and it's almost always an improvement. My whole point though, was try the 12at before the 12ay.

Archived