your thoughts on monster cables

esizer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Monster is a company with really despicable business practices that makes money by duping uneducated consumers into thinking they need to spend 20 times more than necessary on basic cables to hook up the gear they buy at Best Buy.

They deserve nothing but scorn for the way they bully small businesses and exploit hapless consumers. They're a really scummy company.

The best value in cables is here.

http://audiopile.net/product_page.shtml

• Members

I have old ones I still replace when they break but I do not buy anything new from them.

However there is some merit to having "quality" cables. I get mine custom made but in a pinch I'll pick up something from Planet Waves over // ONSTER.

• Members

You guys might laugh but you wanna know the best cable that I have ever owned? Radio Shack gold cable. Had this thing for about 10 years..Never any problems. I think I paid around $16 for 12ft.

I still have some $10 cables that have been working for 35 years now.

• Members

Don't say the word "Monster" too loud.

They'll sue you.

While there are the value/technical issues being describe, this is actually why I make it policy NOT to purchase Monster Cable products.

It is an attempt to abuse IP law. While it isn't uncommon for trademark holders to send warning shots over the bows of others in the market, "Monster" st, at best suggestive, and much more probably descriptive and the extent to which they do this (especially the breadth across markets) is simply egregious.

It's a very good thing for them I'm not on the bench - sanctions would be a flyin

• Members

The rock model darkens your tone. They are the devil (very lawyer happy).

I used them.

Why? Because they replace your cable if it breaks.

I know there are better cables out there, but I play standard tuned through middy amps. I use the fat dark tone they give me as part of my EQ.

I broke my jazz cable. Stepped on it. RMA on Monster website. Told them I stepped on it. Sent it back. Brand new one a few weeks later. If they have the same model in guitar shops, you can walk straight in and do the same thing.

• Members

Whirlwind Leader series.

Cheap, Reliable, easy to keep from getting tangled and Lifetime warranty.

When you get your,s pull the sleeve back and have a look at how they did the joints and then enjoy the piece of mind that ensues.

• Members

All you need is low capacitance cable with 95% shielding and good single piece jacks like the switchcraft and they should last a lifetime. beldin is a #1 cable manufacturer and i've had some of theire cables for over 40 years.

I can say I do like the Wirlwind Cables though. I normally make my own cables but I have three wirlwinds specifically for guitar. I run one to my effects board and two to my amps and run a stereo signal.

• Members

ive seen a brand new car totalled and then i saw someone drive down the road in a 30 yr old car. by that logic all new cars will instantly be wrecked and all old cars will last forever.

That's not even close to a valid analogy.

Archived