Was going to buy a Mesa Single Rectifier tonight, but I didn't...

iloveespguitars

• Members

Every single one of you in this thread is a loser.
:thu:

Up until me of course. And King Loudness. We are WINRARS!
:o

edit: Ricky you hurt me ?.
:cry:

Redeye you're just all around choking on teh cock.

Teh Mesa4x12er2 :love:

Rectos really aren't that bad an amp for what they do... you just have to *gasp* dial them in.

• Members

Showed up with $800 cash... that's when it all happened
:mad:

The seller first flips on amp + standy switch together
:facepalm:
the metal heatsink/bar was missing
on craigslist ad it said new condition, it wasn't
didn't have cover
el34 tubes in the amp, but bias switch set to 6l6:facepalm:

I just had to leave
:rolleyes:

The new Single rec's don't have that metal bar on the back of them. They have a metal mesh cage that only covers the back and sides of the two power tubes. It is held on with plastic clips and after taking it off once it was really loose when I put it back on. I took it back off for good. The weird thing is the wood blocks are there on both sides where the bar would usually attach to the amp.

• Members

Some guy advertised a Mesa Lonestar head in excellent shape. I drove more then an hour to look at it... It had magic marker dots all over the control panel where someone marked their settings along with dings and rips in the tolex. {censored}. Then I'm playing it and the guy says "It comes with EL34 and 6l6 tubes and you just switch this button to choose. As he says this he starts switching the 6l6/EL64 mini toggle back and forth saying "this is with EL34s"... pause... "This is with 6L6s".... I stop playing, give him my best WHAT THE {censored}? look and immediately walk out. OP, I feel your pain.

• Members

Cover? Who cares.

Bias? Well, the 6L6 is lower, so that doesn't hurt anything. I would be more worried the other way. (6L6's with EL34 setting).

Power and Standby? That would only hurt the tubes, which always need replaced when buying a used amp anyways.

If that bar was missing, that would bug me. I would lower the price by how much it would cost to order one. BTW, That is for protection, not a heatsink

As far as those saying it would sound like {censored} just because it is a Recto? Well, apparently they are tone-deaf, and their opinion is not to be trusted...

• Members

lemmeseehere...

power + standby= not a problem

metal bar=not a heatsink. $10 to buy material to replace it at lowes

no cover=buy one

bias switch=virtually ineffectual. it's even possible that the tubes are actually operating closer to spec with the bias switch set that way.

if you knew those things, you could have used the issues to haggle. prolly could have walked out with the amp and $2-300 left over.

• Members

lemmeseehere...

power + standby= not a problem

metal bar=not a heatsink. $10 to buy material to replace it at lowes

no cover=buy one

bias switch=virtually ineffectual. it's even possible that the tubes are actually operating closer to spec with the bias switch set that way.

if you knew those things, you could have used the issues to haggle. prolly could have walked out with the amp and $2-300 left over.

Which leaves you with two options:

1. Miss out on amp due to own fail

2. Call guy back up and go "tell you what...if you're willing to do $600, I'll take it anyway" and begin haggling.

• Members

I too hate the "like new" condish {censored} when it turns out to not be, but yeah you could still haggle. I don't mind used gear with some love on it. Just make sure and disclose it, then I won't be pissed if you're lying to me. Big flashy tagwords like "LIKE NEW" or "MINT A+++ CONDITION" mean exactly what they say. If not I'll probably buy it anyway, but yeah. Understand the am.disappoint.

O, and Rectos are too much for indie-hipsters like RB with limp-wristed Tele's :thu:. This is not news to anyone who's been on teh forums before today... :o :o :D:cop:

• Members

Cover? Who cares.

Bias? Well, the 6L6 is lower, so that doesn't hurt anything. I would be more worried the other way. (6L6's with EL34 setting).

Power and Standby? That would only hurt the tubes, which always need replaced when buying a used amp anyways.

If that bar was missing, that would bug me. I would lower the price by how much it would cost to order one. BTW, That is for protection, not a heatsink

As far as those saying it would sound like {censored} just because it is a Recto? Well, apparently they are tone-deaf, and their opinion is not to be trusted...

This.

Archived