Fender Champion 600 opinions?

Zeppelin Rules

• Members

So there's a dead mint (still with hangtag) Fender Champion 600 on my local Craigslist for $100. They cost ~$160 new.

I think I must be catching amp-forumitis, because I just got a '77 in trade 2 weeks ago, and I already want another amp.

Added to that that I want something super portable.

Anyone have any thoughts on them, experience, perceptions, moral

• Members

It's a small 6v6 tube amp with one knob made by fender. That is a hard thing to {censored} up.

I have one and I don't care what any "purists" or w/e say. If you can't get a good clean tone out of that amp then you should stop playing guitar.

It won't get loud (obviously), but for the price and what it is designed for that is a good deal.

• Members

I have one, lovely clean with my telecaster, meh sound with my other guitars (LP studio and SG 61 RI).

Is not really a champ 600 reissue, it have MTB controls (fixed).

Cool upgrades are:

- Change the tubes (is a must)

- Change the grill cloth (the stock one is THICK, sound better with another or none)

- tweak the MTB circuit to your taste.

• Members

I have one as well and bought mine off of Ebay for $115 with a Weber speaker upgrade and grill cloth that was changed to a thinner material. I also performed the R19 resistor mod (lifting one leg of the resistor off the board) to get the amp to sound more like a vintage tweed Champ. There is another resistor which I believe is R12 where you would also lift the leg on for even more gain. The current mod allows the amp to sound nice and clean, until you raise the volume on the amp around 12 o'clock position on up it overdrives nicely with some surprising amount of gain. It has a Clapton 'Layla' kind of vibe. The Weber speaker also handles bottom end pretty well and doesn't fart out, unlike the stock Fender speaker from what I've heard.

• Members

I have one and it's a loud 'lil bastage , did all the mods + added a tone control . Here is a duet with a Killer ant , used a trem pedal on the 600. :p

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9523559

chassis1.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

600after.jpg

minirigs.jpg

I like the ant better though it's dead quiet the 600 isn't and I may change the Alnico as that sounds kinda harsh when cranked but for cheaps it's a cool amp.

• Members

Thanks man , funny thing I did some of those mods you find on the internet and hated it , the tone control is a big plus though . It actually sounded good stock so I'd recommend to not do any mods if you like it other than maybe tubes and a tone control . I didn't like the velvet curtain either so I put some nice cane on it .

Archived