Crate BV6212 Blue Voodoo 2x12?

lfrz93

• Members

I know someone that is selling this combo, but it apparently needs retubing on ALL tubes. Lets say I can get it for less than 300 bucks, can't say the exact price but its pretty low.

I was wondering, how do these amps sound? Are they half-reliable? How much is the maximum I should pay for it?

• Members

Reliability on blue voodoos, especially the combos, is spotty. I have a bv120 for like 4-5 years, and I hated it. Best thing to do would be to try it out and see if you like the sound, though if it needs tubes, that might not be feasible.

• Members

I always thought they sounded like a poor man's JCM900. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one in need of tubes.

How so? Let's say I put some JJs in the power section, and a mix of EH, Sovtek, and Tungol in the preamp section? Apparently it uses 4 12ax7s and 1 12au7.

Another thing I'm curious about, I read this amp is self bias?? Is this true?

• Members

Reliability on blue voodoos, especially the combos, is spotty. I have a bv120 for like 4-5 years, and I hated it. Best thing to do would be to try it out and see if you like the sound, though if it needs tubes, that might not be feasible.

Yeah, I wish I could try it out, that's why I'm here asking for help! :thu:

• Members

I never biased mine when I changed the tubes...I think it does it itself, but I cant remember, its been about 6 years since I sold it.

I agree that I wouldnt pay more than 200 for a used one that needs tubes. The clean channel is pretty nice, but the gain is very buzzy and fizzy, and just never really got where I needed it. Some people love them, but those people are pretty rare.

• Members

Ugh, just read a few notes on it and apparently it sounds like complete {censored}, can't handle much Thrash or Death metal tonewise, and if you play it loud it {censored}s on you.

Wow, I was thinking of buying it because I can get it for 100 bucks, but retubing would be around 70 to 100, and then deal with all the rest of the BS? Nahh I'll pass.

You know, I actually had the BV120H for a year or two and it didn't sound bad, and I never had a problem either... but apparently these combos are complete {censored}.

• Members

Yeah, that's the sucky part. So just make sure you don't buy it for more than you can flip it for while factoring in the cost of the retube.

Yup, I didn't want to give out the price but I could get it for 100 bucks

• Members

Yup, I didn't want to give out the price but I could get it for 100 bucks

doooo eeeet

You could completely retube the thing for about $100-120, and flip it for $200 if you still hate it. Hell, at $100, it's viable just as a platform for mods. FJA and Voodoo both do BV mods.

• Members

doooo eeeet

You could completely retube the thing for about $100-120, and flip it for $200 if you still hate it. Hell, at $100, it's viable just as a platform for mods. FJA and Voodoo both do BV mods.

Thats another thing though, what if the amp is completely fried? Henceforth the price? I don't know man I was all excited at first but now I just don't know.

• Members

Thats another thing though, what if the amp is completely fried? Henceforth the price? I don't know man I was all excited at first but now I just don't know.

Well, that's another matter entirely. If you don't trust that the thing won't be DOA, then it doesn't matter if it's a Blue DooDoo or a Bogner Ecstasy - you do not want to mess with that kind of seller.

• Members

Well, that's another matter entirely. If you don't trust that the thing won't be DOA, then it doesn't matter if it's a Blue DooDoo or a Bogner Ecstasy - you do not want to mess with that kind of seller.

Exactly, I don't know the guy, he was referred to me by someone I bought a guitar off Craigslist

Edit: The guy that sold me the guitar was legit as hell though

• Members

The BVs are okay for a practice amp, but I wouldn't want to play one in a band. They sound too buzzy, and get buried way too easy in a band mix. a 50 watt Marshall turned up to number 2 will stomp all over a BV120 at number 6. True story!

• Members

I had the head about two or three years ago for about a year and a half. I mean I liked it back then, had to sell it because I needed money, and right now I don't really have any money either but someone could lend me the money, I just don't wanna risk the money on a bad amp. The head sounds completely different I have read.

• Members

The BVs are okay for a practice amp, but I wouldn't want to play one in a band. They sound too buzzy, and get buried way too easy in a band mix. a 50 watt Marshall turned up to number 2 will stomp all over a BV120 at number 6. True story!

Truth.

I know several poor metalheads that play in bands trying to be heard with the ol BV120h.. Sounds like mush even when not competing with another guitar.

Ive heard some of the later redesigned ones that sounded better though.

Archived