There really needs to be an Axe-FX Lite

xautumnsashesx

• Members

I have an issue with spending $1500 for something I will only use part of. Maybe it's just me, but all I need in a modeler is amp models, and probably cab/speaker/mic sims. I like the idea of have a bunch of good sound in one box, that wont ever need tubes, but I would use it mostly for quite jamming and playing with a band through a power amp and a real cab. I much rather keep my effects, if any outboard because I like the options, variety, and simplicity to control. Anyone else on this same page? Should we petition Fractal?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This. They could absolutely do it, the problem is it wouldn't cost any less. It's just not as simple as it sounds.

Bingo. The models are probably the least expensive thing in the Axe. To make high-quality models of either amps or effects, you'll need a lot of processing power. You won't remove that requirement by splitting it into 2 units. It would cost about the same and be preposterously uncompetitive.

• Members

Bingo. The models are probably the least expensive thing in the Axe. To make high-quality models of either amps or effects, you'll need a lot of processing power. You won't remove that requirement by splitting it into 2 units. It would cost about the same and be preposterously uncompetitive.

Preposterously! :p

• Members

The Ultra and Standard don't have the same processing power....right?

And they don't have the same capabilities...right?

Why couldn't you remove even MORE capabilities AND processing power and make it a bit cheaper?

inb4 "oh that won't work"

:o

• Members

Why couldn't you remove even MORE capabilities AND processing power and make it a bit cheaper?

Because then it would be a POD

• Members

I think it's like having two children, forcing one to be blind, and forcing another to be deaf. :confused:

• Members

I'm not entirely convinced that he couldn't use a much cheaper processor. Actually, I'm pretty sure he could. I believe the problem is that the supporting hardware would be mostly the same (motherboard, memory, chassis, screen, etc). So it wouldn't be cheap enough to justify another product.

• Members

the simple solution is to release it as software that you use on your PC...

they could sell it for $500, and probably make more than they do selling the hardware.

The only problem is that it probably won't run unless you haul your desktop PC or Mac to a gig. Cliff has mentioned that the Axe has been ported for the PC but it requires a Core i5/i7 class computer (desktop version I assume) to run properly.

Removing features from the software won't lower costs. Using a slower processor and less RAM would be only marginal savings. Besides Fractal aren't really in the same market as Line6 and co. They're exclusively aimed at the high end market that you can either afford or not. I don't consider myself wealthy and I could buy one after saving and selling some other gear.

• Members

You're an idiot.

Yes, I am an idiot.

Moving on, are you really paying $1500+ for the hardware that goes into it, or are you paying most of that for the work that went actually creating all the models? I'm not to knowledgeable as to what the hardware costs are, but the business side of me says that you are paying mostly for the effort that went into the creation.

Assuming I am right in my assumption, if an Axe-FX Lite was released, as I described for say, $750-$1000 would more people buy it? I guess that was my original question.

• Members

what percentage of axe fx's are purchased by actual gigging musicians, though? i'd say less than half.

since it's already been ported to a PC, all they have to spend money on is packaging and burning discs. the profit margin would be significantly higher ( i assume ) than the hardware units, and they could better serve their customers. i don't see how it's not a win/win solution. and at a price point of $500, that's still what i consider high end for software. :idk:

but i don't have a dog in the race, so no biggy to me :idk:

Archived