Y'know what? 9-46 *is* the perfect gauge for lead guitar in E standard --

draelyc

• Members

There, I said it. :o

I've been messin' around with bigger strings off and on for a while now, but I keep coming back to these. You get the thicker, more substantial feel of 10s on the bass side, and the incredibly easy playability of 9s on the treble side.

And I don't care whatcha say, there's no appreciable difference in tone on the treble side between 9-11-16s and 10-13-17s. I've gone back & forth enough to know. :cop::lol: It's really a difference of feel.

So there, hcaf! :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There, I said it.
:o

I've been messin' around with bigger strings off and on for a while now, but I keep coming back to these. You get the thicker, more substantial feel of 10s on the bass side, and the incredibly easy playability of 9s on the treble side.

And I don't care whatcha say, there's no appreciable difference in tone on the treble side between 9-11-16s and 10-13-17s. I've gone back & forth enough to know.
:cop::lol:
It's really a difference of feel.

So there, hcaf!
:p

Depends on the guitar

• Members

There, I said it.
:o

And I don't care whatcha say, there's no appreciable difference in tone on the treble side between 9-11-16s and 10-13-17s. I've gone back & forth enough to know.
:cop::lol:
It's really a difference of feel.

So there, hcaf!
:p

+1

I've stuck with that gauge for yeeeears now.

BTW, does anyone under 35 still tune to a standard "E" tuning....or is it reserved for us dinosours? :idk:

• Members

I like my 10-48 on my tele and strats. I played 11's on my esp. I didn't realize how much difference the 11's played on my strat. Had to go to 10's.

This for me. On Gibby's and Gretsch's I use 11's and on Fender's I use 10's. The Gibson/Gretsch shorter scale makes 10's feel like rubber bands as I'm so used to 10's on tele's/strat's.

• Members

BTW, does anyone under 35 still tune to a standard "E" tuning....or is it reserved for us dinosours?
:idk:

I'd be considered young by most on here. 99.9% of what I play is in E standard. No tuning to drop z for me. I've also been using 10s for a long time, I may try out some 9-46s.

• Members

Since the question came up, my main axe is a Hamer Mirage Koa, 25.5" scale; second guit is a Hamer Studio, 24.75" scale. I use the same gauges on both -- I just don't feel that much difference between scale lengths :idk: -- but I use nickel plated on the Studio and pure nickel on the Mirage.

I've tried 10-46, 10-50, and 10-52s over the years. With regular 10s, there's not enough difference in feel between the treble & bass strings, and with the others, the sound good, but (for me) there's such a huge difference in feel when soloing -- the 9-46s sound just as good but are SO much easier to finesse ... :)

• Members

I use a 10-52 set on my Hamers and that has been the perfect set for me. Also in E Standard. I wouldn't mind trying the 9-46 but I think it'd be a little too light on the top strings.

I use this gauge as well. Love em.

• Members

Since the question came up, my main axe is a Hamer Mirage Koa, 25.5" scale; second guit is a Hamer Studio, 24.75" scale. I use the same gauges on both -- I just don't feel that much difference between scale lengths
:idk:
-- but I use nickel plated on the Studio and pure nickel on the Mirage.

I've tried 10-46, 10-50, and 10-52s over the years. With regular 10s, there's not enough difference in feel between the treble & bass strings, and with the others, the sound good, but (for me) there's such a huge difference in feel when soloing -- the 9-46s sound just as good but are SO much easier to finesse ...
:)

Err ya go. :D

• Members

I think I will keep throwing bends out of tune and stuff with 9-46 because.... see... finesse is not one of my qualities as a player ( or as a boyfriend but that's a different thread altogether)
:D

Lol, Billy! ;)

Archived