X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'know what? 9-46 *is* the perfect gauge for lead guitar in E standard --

There, I said it.

I've been messin' around with bigger strings off and on for a while now, but I keep coming back to these. You get the thicker, more substantial feel of 10s on the bass side, and the incredibly easy playability of 9s on the treble side.

And I don't care whatcha say, there's no appreciable difference in tone on the treble side between 9-11-16s and 10-13-17s. I've gone back & forth enough to know. It's really a difference of feel.

So there, hcaf!
    Originally Posted by nightflameauto

You'd think the guy that argues faith as logic would let us all believe in the unicorn.

Originally Posted by draelyc

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here posting to you. You're locked up in here posting to me.

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

I'm helping you, for the future. This way, instead of humping life's doorknobs, you'll perhaps someday open one.

Hardvalve is like Nelo without the class or intelligence.
    Think about that and try not to get an aneurysm from it.

BLOG!
    TUNES!

I use and like this gauge, and play lead guitar in E standard quite often.

So, I'd be obliged to agree with you there.
    Smooth deals with: duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookieFender Custom Shop '52 TelecasterGibson 2013 SG StandardFender Deville III 4x10Oh Henry! chocolate barsPedals n' stuffhttp://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com

Comment

Dammit. dont make me try new string gauges!!
      Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

Depends on the scale length and your playing style. What guitar are you rocking with that string set?

Comment

Depends on the scale length and your playing style. What guitar are you rocking with that string set?

This.

Comment

I use a 10-52 set on my Hamers and that has been the perfect set for me. Also in E Standard. I wouldn't mind trying the 9-46 but I think it'd be a little too light on the top strings.
            http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

There, I said it.

I've been messin' around with bigger strings off and on for a while now, but I keep coming back to these. You get the thicker, more substantial feel of 10s on the bass side, and the incredibly easy playability of 9s on the treble side.

And I don't care whatcha say, there's no appreciable difference in tone on the treble side between 9-11-16s and 10-13-17s. I've gone back & forth enough to know. It's really a difference of feel.

So there, hcaf!
              Depends on the guitar
              Avatar: I don't know who it is, but those are some epic tits.

Originally Posted by oinkbanana

PITA that i can't find something with some girth that i'm happy with.

Comment

I like my 10-48 on my tele and strats. I played 11's on my esp. I didn't realize how much difference the 11's played on my strat. Had to go to 10's.
                Crook Custom Telecaster - Blue Sparkle Paisley
                Fender American Telecaster - 3-Tone Burst
                Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident Stage I
                Mesa/Boogie 2-12 Recto Cab
                Peavey Bandit
                Peavey Special 112
                Xotic, Fulltone, Ibanez Effects
                TC Electronic iB Modified G-System

Originally Posted by charveldan

Drunk guy through a PV, that's Rock-n-Roll.

Good transactions: Whirlwind, Geese_com, Ultron, Soundgardener75, Caustic69, EJ, Mercutioburns

‎Founder of the HCAF SS

Comment

There, I said it.

So there, hcaf!

+1

I've stuck with that gauge for yeeeears now.

BTW, does anyone under 35 still tune to a standard "E" tuning....or is it reserved for us dinosours?
                  How Grendel Sound Stole My Money

Show Off List

Amp & Cabs
                  VHT Pitbull UL
                  Mesa Dual Rec
                  Carvin Legacy
                  ADA MP-1
                  Carvin FET power amp
                  Mesa 4x12
                  Old School Peavey 4x12

Lefty Guitars
                  Hamer Californian
                  2 Kramer Baretta
                  Kramer Pacer Imperial
                  Washburn N4

Effects
                  Satriani's old Eventide H3000, FTW

Comment

I like my 10-48 on my tele and strats. I played 11's on my esp. I didn't realize how much difference the 11's played on my strat. Had to go to 10's.

This for me. On Gibby's and Gretsch's I use 11's and on Fender's I use 10's. The Gibson/Gretsch shorter scale makes 10's feel like rubber bands as I'm so used to 10's on tele's/strat's.

Comment

BTW, does anyone under 35 still tune to a standard "E" tuning....or is it reserved for us dinosours?

I'd be considered young by most on here. 99.9% of what I play is in E standard. No tuning to drop z for me. I've also been using 10s for a long time, I may try out some 9-46s.
                      Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

I play most my music in E standard. I drop d on occasions, and I have a guitar set up Drop d - E flat tuned. Of course I am not a brootz player either.
                        Crook Custom Telecaster - Blue Sparkle Paisley
                        Fender American Telecaster - 3-Tone Burst
                        Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident Stage I
                        Mesa/Boogie 2-12 Recto Cab
                        Peavey Bandit
                        Peavey Special 112
                        Xotic, Fulltone, Ibanez Effects
                        TC Electronic iB Modified G-System

Originally Posted by charveldan

Drunk guy through a PV, that's Rock-n-Roll.

Good transactions: Whirlwind, Geese_com, Ultron, Soundgardener75, Caustic69, EJ, Mercutioburns

‎Founder of the HCAF SS

Comment

I prefer 10s myself.

Comment

Since the question came up, my main axe is a Hamer Mirage Koa, 25.5" scale; second guit is a Hamer Studio, 24.75" scale. I use the same gauges on both -- I just don't feel that much difference between scale lengths -- but I use nickel plated on the Studio and pure nickel on the Mirage.

I've tried 10-46, 10-50, and 10-52s over the years. With regular 10s, there's not enough difference in feel between the treble & bass strings, and with the others, the sound good, but (for me) there's such a huge difference in feel when soloing -- the 9-46s sound just as good but are SO much easier to finesse ...

You'd think the guy that argues faith as logic would let us all believe in the unicorn.

Originally Posted by draelyc

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here posting to you. You're locked up in here posting to me.

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

I'm helping you, for the future. This way, instead of humping life's doorknobs, you'll perhaps someday open one.

Hardvalve is like Nelo without the class or intelligence.
                            Think about that and try not to get an aneurysm from it.

BLOG!
                            TUNES!

Comment

I think I will keep throwing bends out of tune and stuff with 9-46 because.... see... finesse is not one of my qualities as a player ( or as a boyfriend but that's a different thread altogether)
                              http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

Working...
                              X