Who here Uses A Distortion pedal as there Main Hi Gain Tone

rebornself27

• Members

Overdrive into gain channels of many amps = > any distortion pedal I've ever tried, and even the best clips I've heard of pedals are underwhelming IMO. But regardless of being skeptical, I'm always open to trying any out and would love to have a pedal that'd take care of all the gain.

• Members

I have been slowly going to this route....I have two dirt pedals....one being a light crunch and the other more distortion. I cascade these into a clean boost then into my clean channel. I have found that the clean boost works well in this setup for two things. 1) Opening up the dirt pedal and making them sound more authentic and dynamic, and 2) It works as a great solo boost function.

I leave my clean boost on all the time and get some pretty good tones. I do like the amp's distortion, but I really like the versatility and honestly the sound quality of running dirt pedals into the clean channel of my amp. This also worked very good with the Marshall DSL that I used to have.

Cole

• Members

I used to be against this method, because a lot of stomp boxes were harsh and {censored}ty. But nowadays, I am getting some really nice sounds running into the clean channel. I primarily use a TRex Mudhoney for this purpose. If you add a TS9 after it you get an amazing saggy, plexi-ish drive tone that has the right mud on the bottom, with a good cut and smooth top end.

I have just ordered a LovePedal Kalamazoo for added awesome in this department too.

The only thing I will say, it depends massively on the amp you are running.

OD pedals will only sound good through a clean channel that can take them. And sometimes, this isn't your typical Fender clean. Sometimes a pedal works far better on a slightly ordinary clean sound. My Bogner Shiva clean channel has a great clean channel, but all of my pedals sound killer through that. :rawk:

• Members

Right now I'm using an old Randall head that's basically like an old Fender but solid state. Running into Channel 1.

IMG_0606.jpg

This is what's on my pedalboard right now except for the Danelectro.

IMG_0499.jpg

I used to have this Bandmaster head but I had to sell it due to money issues. Plus, the Randall sounded so close that I figured I might as well just use it instead.

IMG_0640.jpg

Archived