Marshall DSL for Metal/Hardcore??

Elemenope

• Members

Your thoughts?

This was a discussion in another post. I just wanted to see what most people think. And I am not taking about a boosted DSL. I'm talking bare bones DSL tone. Of course you can make just about any amp sound more metal/hardcore with a boost.

Imo I don't think they are good for metal/hardcore. Even with a boost I still think they sound crappy.

• Members

Well really, playing a certain style doesn't dictate that you have to sound exactly like everyone else. I sure don't try to. In that respect, yes I would use a plain ol' DSL for that kind of music. You might possibly even be able to pull it off trying to sound like somebody else. But I don't believe they get as over-the-top as something like a 5150 though.

• Members

DSL's are great amps for HC/Punk/Metal. Why the no boosting constraint? I boost every amp I own (gain off, level maxed) except the CCV. IMO, boosting adds a little tightness, etc but doesn't really alter the tone of the amp too much.

• Members

The answer is yes, a DSL will work for Metal/Hardcore.....I used it for a Metal band i was in and it worked just fine.

Same here and still own it. Easy to dial, cuts throught the mix very well. Need a bit more gain, easy, just use your favorite OD. BTW, DSL likes to be crancked!!!

Go ahead and rock out!!!

• Members

DSL's are great amps for HC/Punk/Metal. Why the no boosting constraint? I boost every amp I own (gain off, level maxed) except the CCV. IMO, boosting adds a little tightness, etc but doesn't really alter the tone of the amp too much.

I don't feel like the Marshall has enough gain on its own to do metal. I feel like with my DSL no matter how I use my settings it always has a certain sound to it that just not metal enough for me. If I play this thing next to my bro who is using my 6505+ the Marshall gets blown out of the water. I guess I gotta agee to some extent that the Marshall can do metal...But it's not ideal.

The reason I said specifically no boosts is because people on another thread were naming metal bands who use the DSL for metal. Someone mentioned Hatebreed. And I'm thinking how much does a band like that boost though? You can make any amp sound metal if you boost.

• Members

The reason I said specifically no boosts is because people on another thread were naming metal bands who use the DSL for metal. Someone mentioned Hatebreed. And I'm thinking how much does a band like that boost though? You can make any amp sound metal if you boost.

hatebreed uses tsl's and they dont boost at all

• Members

I don't feel like the Marshall has enough gain on its own to do metal. I feel like with my DSL no matter how I use my settings it always has a certain sound to it that just not metal enough for me. If I play this thing next to my bro who is using my 6505+ the Marshall gets blown out of the water. I guess I gotta agee to some extent that the Marshall can do metal...But it's not ideal.

Dude, I think maybe you have bad preamp tubes or something. I borrowed a DSL for a while and the red channel had TONS of gain. If you don't like the voicing, fair enough, but if gain was lacking...I think maybe there was a problem with the amp.

• Members

Dude, I think maybe you have bad preamp tubes or something. I borrowed a DSL for a while and the red channel had TONS of gain. If you don't like the voicing, fair enough, but if gain was lacking...I think maybe there was a problem with the amp.

Could be. I mean I had the thing tubed and biased about 2 years ago...But I don't think I've played it but maybe once a month since. But then on the other hand after owning a 6505 also I bet its just the voicing that I hate. The cleans are beautiful. I even think this would be a great amp for AC/DC rock. But its gain just sounds like turd compared to the 6505.

• Members

Lookin for a new toy to drive out the In-laws LMNOP?
:lol:

I've actually got a blackstar at the post office that I'm gonna pick up after work. Hopefully that will do the trick. But I doub't my cab will get to me for another week.

• Members

Uses a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive pedal. So yeh he is boosting.

wayne is a buddy of mine, he lives a few streets away from me. im actually going to meet him at the strip joint in a few, ill ask him. i know they used unboosted tsl's in the past though

Archived