Gun dudes... what is considered being a good shot?

Mesa4x12er2

• Members

I've been breaking my Beretta in and I'm starting to feel pretty good with it. I only ask because the definition of "good" seems to vary quite a bit. Been outshooting most of the people I've seen at the range but that's not saying much. :lol: Then again I've also been told by other dudes that my results are pretty average.

Also any tips? I'm pretty consistent but for some reason I manage to have a few strays here and there and I'd like to not have them anymore. Not too bad from 30 feet but at 20+ yards those few inches become a lot wider. This is my target from earlier. 150 rounds at ~10 yards.

target.jpg

• Members

all great shots have a few strays. it will happen. being a great shot is a culmination of several skills such as shot placement (simple: smallest groupings at the greatest distances), speed, firing under pressure or time, moving targets, varying of weaponry, etc. those are pretty good groupings, sir, even at the short distance, so youre on the right track! just keep shooting, and make sure you get some feedback from a professional if you can as far as trigger pull and breathing techniques.

beretta....92?

• Members

all great shots have a few strays. it will happen. being a great shot is a culmination of several skills such as shot placement (simple: smallest groupings at the greatest distances), speed, firing under pressure or time, moving targets, varying of weaponry, etc. those are pretty good groupings, sir, even at the short distance, so youre on the right track! just keep shooting, and make sure you get some feedback from a professional if you can as far as trigger pull and breathing techniques.

beretta....92?

Thanks man, I appreciate the encouragement. Unfortunately I can't really do the firing under pressure or moving targets here but I do try to keep my shots at no more than 1 second apart. My results definitely get hazier with rapid fire but they still usually stay within the 8 range with some 7s. For trigger pull I've been trying to focus on being tight but squeezing with the pad of my finger to avoid jerk. Breathing I try to fire on exhales but I still haven't found the right technique when firing multiple shots in a couple seconds. Been taking a deep breath and letting them all go in one exhale. Don't know of any real "pros" and I've been outshooting or shooting on par with cops I've seen at the range so I'm on my own with the internet guidance until I meet one. :lol:

And yeah Beretta 92FS. Got it about a month ago.

FS2.jpg

• Members

Excellent choice in firearm!! Here's my Beretta, a 1988 Italian-made model w/ new-ish wood grips.

mms_picture21-1.jpg

That looks excellent man! Funny to see the crown bag because that's what mine gets carried around in when in the car. All of my extra mags go in another one when going to the range too. :lol:

• Members

Well as you can see I clearly didn't do that. Now teach me how!
:p

Well they always teach law enforcment to go for center mass, which judging from your target is where most of your shots are so just keep doing that.

Practice/training & repetion are what pays off.

• Members

Looks pretty good. Just keep doing what you are doing. Everybody shoots different so you need to find what works for you. Try picking out a spot on the target like a number near a scoring line or anything small really and fire a shot at it. If you hit it great, but if not, keep focus on that same spot and fire a group. If you keep the aim small, miss small mentality you will get better I promise. when I shoot at target over 100 yards away with a rifle I dont just aim for the center of the target, I aim for very center of the smallest spot in the center (if that makes sense LOL)

• Members

If you want to know how good you are, you should participate in competition shooting. I would also switch to smaller targets and concentrate on technique and accuracy first, then rapid fire. Also, try different rounds to see what your pistol shoots best. Every gun is different. If you shoot a lot, you might want to look into reloading. Biggest thing is practice and technique/consistency.

• Members

A good shot to me is a 3" group at 25 yards with a handgun. Also being able to call the fliers. If you have someone to go with you, have them hand you a gun several times, occasionally with an empty chamber. (you wont know if it is empty or not) When you drop the hammer on an empty, that you think is full, hopefully you wont react or flinch/push the gun.

• Members

A good shot to me is a 3" group at 25 yards with a handgun. Also being able to call the fliers. If you have someone to go with you, have them hand you a gun several times, occasionally with an empty chamber. (you wont know if it is empty or not) When you drop the hammer on an empty, that you think is full, hopefully you wont react or flinch/push the gun.

Yeah for sure. I've been thinking about lacing some snap caps into my mags when I go to the range for that reason. I usually take 5 mags with me when I go so placing 1 or 2 buried in them and then not knowing which one would be beneficial. And yeah I can't do any kind of consistent groupings near that small from 25 yards. I can get some good groups in in but those ones that aren't dead on end up being 6"-8"+ wide/high/low.

• Members

That looks good to me dude. Your grouping is better than mine has been my last couple of trips to the range. Although, i am steadily improving. Had to take a short break from the guns because it's gettin expensive to go shoot. I blew through $60 worth of ammo in less than an hour. :lol:

• Members

A good shot to me is a 3" group at 25 yards with a handgun. Also being able to call the fliers.
If you have someone to go with you, have them hand you a gun several times, occasionally with an empty chamber. (you wont know if it is empty or not) When you drop the hammer on an empty, that you think is full, hopefully you wont react or flinch/push the gun

This is good advise and even better is having someone load the magazine with a few snap-caps in random positions mixed with regular ammo. This way you'll actually fire a few rounds before getting to the snap-cap. Then you'll really see if you pull the gun or have any trigger pull issues.

Good grouping BTW!

• Members

Thanks but at 30 feet I think I should be doing better than that and want to do better than that! I'll be happy when that's my target at 150 feet.
:D

I take that back then...lol. J/K. Takes practice. I started shooting rifles and handguns when I was 8 but haven't fired one in quite some time. I used to be able to knock down soda cans from 10-15 yds w/ a handgun.

Archived