Going to swap Ceramic magnet into my Duncan JB

Rydock

• Members

I did this a couple of years ago, but I can't remember the result. Want something tighter and clearer for my Drop B guitar. Just putting this out there in case anybody was interested. Should take me a couple of minutes. Super easy to do on a floyded guitar.

/CSB

• Members

Review:

Well the Ceramic JB was everything you would expect. Tighter low end, more output, and subdued high-mid hump. Palm-muted chugging was a lot crunchier and intricate triplet riffing was more defined. The pickup now had increased clarity, but at the cost of harsher, stiffer, more compressed sound. it was more aggressive and brighter, but was still rather usable for leads; though not as good as the stock JB. It no longer has that singing "bloom" lead tone the stock JB had.

So far, the "Distortion lite" is good for what I need it for ATM. I actually have a Duncan Custom coming in real soon. I had that ceramic mag laying around, so I decided to swap it in before I yank the JB out. The ceramic JB is starting to grow on me though. The increased brightness and output put me off at first, but I spent a little time tweaking the settings on my amp, and it's sounding a lot better for how I need to use it.

• Members

You should drop an alnico 8 magnet in there. It'll blow the hair off your anus.

I foolishly let mine go when I traded the carvin holdsworth.

I was going to, but I dropped it on the floor and it snapped in half...I never even got to try it...FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU :mad:

• Members

I think if you give the JB+ / Distortion Lite / JB Ceramic some time it will grow on you and become one of your favorite pickups. I found this out way back in 2004

It definitely is growing on me after playing with it for an hour. But I have a strong feeling that the Custom would be the perfect fit for this guitar. If the Custom doesn't work out for me, I'm definitely going to throw the JB+ back in there. I just love the crunchiness I'm getting from it.

• Members

You should drop an alnico 8 magnet in there. It'll blow the hair off your anus.

I foolishly let mine go when I traded the carvin holdsworth.

This.

Every good quality about alnicos + ceramic output levels = Alnico VIII. It really is that good.

• Members

I may get another A8 if I can get my hands on one. I hear they are absolutely killer in the Custom coil. I an Alternative 8 a while back, but never got around to installing it into a guitar. I ended up selling it as I felt it was spec'd to hot for my tastes at the time. I think the Custom has the perfect winding for hotter magnets.

• Members

Best guitar I've ever owned/played. It was actually my dream guitar at one point and I still feel like it is. Everything is perfect about it imo. The thin U neck profile, 305r fret radius, medium jumbo stainless frets, SC-sized rail neck pickup, perfect tuning floyd, perfect body geometry for me. And the way it resonates unplugged is to die for; not something you'd expect from a floating trem guitar. It's not for everyone, but it's my ideal guitar in every way.

• Members

I am interested in trying an Alnico 8 in my JB now. Where can you find them at?

I found them from John Wymore on the seymour duncan forums.

more info

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171083

Order here (may have to email him since I don't see it stocked anywhere)

http://www.wymoreguitars.com/

He gets them from allstar magnetics. They are seymour duncan's supplier.

• Members

I found them from John Wymore on the seymour duncan forums.

more info

Order here (may have to email him since I don't see it stocked anywhere)

He gets them from allstar magnetics. They are seymour duncan's supplier.

I sent him an email. Hopefully he gets back to me. I will definitely try them out. I love the JB now but I have them in two guitars so it wouldnt hurt for one of them to sound different.

Archived