Fender Pro Jr.

scolfax

• Members

Years ago I had a Fender Pro Jr. I played my Strat through it with a BBE Green Screamer and it was awesome. When I started playing in a band I sold it and got a Hot Rod Deluxe. Over time sold that for a Boogie, sold that for an HD500 rig. Yes, I have a gear problem.

Somehow I ended up with a brand new Pro Jr again. Not the newest model that just came out. I tried playing it the other day at bedroom levels and it didn't sound awesome anymore. Sounded and boxy and not great.

Am I doing it wrong? (And I don't mean the endless gear flipping!) Does this amp need to be played loud to sound it's best? If I break in the speaker will some of the boxiness go away? How do you Pro Jr. players use yours?

I'm not against getting a new speaker if that will do the trick, but I'd rather sell it than get into any modding.

• Members

First thing I'd do is test the tubes to be sure they haven't worn out, but if you know their in good working condition, they'll be fine. Tube strength is gonna affect the output. 12AT7's are about 70% of the gain of a 12AX7 and 12AU7's are about 20%. If you want more clean lower output tubes will help. I put in a new 12AU7 in the preamp and it really cleaned up the amp, but you lose lots of gain, cuts the volume. Good for something like Jazz, not too good for Rock or Blues.

• Members

I'd think something british would sound cool with a pro jr. what kind of tones are you looking for?

I play mostly classic rock. But if I'd use a pedal for dirt, then having the amp dialed in for clean Fendery sounds makes sense to me.

Archived