Squier '51 guitars?

pioneerprogress

• Members

Cool. In case no one saw my spam post, trying to find a cheap replacement for my other guitarist's tele that got stolen :(

It's no MIM tele, I know, but I didn't really think his was all that great anyway, so maybe this will turn out to be a better guitar :D E-mailed the guy who's selling this thing on CL, hopefully will pick it up tonight if nothing better comes along.

Hoping it will be gigworthy, if nothing else but temporarily.

• Members

I had one that came with a birdseye maple neck. I hated the shape/feel, otherwise I would have kept it and just sold the body.

They are cool enough guitars, and sound rather decent. Great to mod if you can grab one on the cheap, but be prepared to do some setup depending on who you are buying it from.

• Members

I had one that came with a birdseye maple neck. I hated the shape/feel, otherwise I would have kept it and just sold the body.

They are cool enough guitars, and sound rather decent. Great to mod if you can grab one on the cheap, but be prepared to do some setup depending on who you are buying it from.

The good news is, it could not possibly need a setup worse than the guitar it will be replacing :lol:

• Members

The good news is, it could not possibly need a setup worse than the guitar it will be replacing
:lol:

As a temporary fix it should be acceptable enough. IIRC mine was rather bright, but not so much so to where I felt like I had to immediately swap the pups.

I loved the pickup combo though, I still want another hum+single guitar.

• Members

I've had 3. they were hit or miss.the one was really nice. the other two were good after some fretwork.

fun guitars, dirt cheap and with some work are gigable. But I like gigging with cheap guitars. nothing to worry about :)

• Members

Yeah, I'm not gonna ask this in EG, cause I know how they tend to slobber over cheap guitars and treat them like they're better than they are sometimes.

So, yeah, how are these things? Play okay? Sound decent?

these things...these things are.........gud.

inexpensive axes r a crapshoot, but everybody makes pigs. i had 3, still have 1, mite even be gettin another

on the 1 i have now i replaced the neck w/ a RW 1982 USA Bullet Neck...now she smokes even more.

orig neck was/is a bit chunkier than standard fenders, but its nice all the same.

sounded more than decent w/ stock pups. have since replcd the neck w/ a usa strat pup

its a HT strat, w/ a Tele neck, w/ a HB, and a strat pup...really whats NOT to like?

lol

• Members

I'd go with the Squier Affinity Tele over the '51. It's like $179 new and IMHO the best cheap guitar in the market, just a quick set up and MAYBE new pickups and it's a gig worthy axe.

what's the story with these things, anyway? And if they're that good, is the one for sale in guitar FS forum with Duncan p/u's for 235 a good deal?

• Members

what's the story with these things, anyway? And if they're that good, is the one for sale in guitar FS forum with Duncan p/u's for 235 a good deal?

they're just a good solid tele, period. They are well built, play really well and sound good stock and great with a pickup upgrade. $235 for one with Duncans is a great deal.

Also if the Squier logo bothers you, it comes right off with a bit of paint remover and you're left with a solid sounding, good looking tele.

• Members

they're just a good solid tele, period. They are well built, play really well and sound good stock and great with a pickup upgrade. $235 for one with Duncans is a great deal.

Also if the Squier logo bothers you, it comes right off with a bit of paint remover and you're left with a solid sounding, good looking tele.

how do the pickups compare to a MIM tele? Any discernible difference?

If not I may call up sweetwater.

Archived