Princeton Reverb vs. Deluxe Reverb

jmfields

• Members

I currently play acoustic guitar in a four piece Americana band (alongside brushed drums, electric bass, pedal steel).

I would like to start playing electric guitar (rhythm and lead), and need an amp.

Live, the amp will always be mic'd, but at rehearsal, it will have to hold its own. I'd like the smallest, simplest amp I can get away with, and am considering the Princeton Reverb or the Deluxe Reverb, if the Princeton doesn't have enough power.

What do you think?

Thanks!

P.S. I'll mostly be playing an American Standard Tele with a humbucker at the neck. The only effects I use are tremolo and phaser, sparingly.

http://www.morningriverband.com

• Members

Having been an owner of both, I would go with the deluxe. The princeton just sounds flat out bad past 6 or 7, especially with humbuckers. Its build quality isnt the greatest either, not saying the deluxe is way above it but it just sounded better to me IMHO.

• Members

I currently play acoustic guitar in a four piece Americana band (alongside brushed drums, electric bass, pedal steel).

Live, the amp will always be mic'd, but at rehearsal, it will have to hold its own. I'd like the smallest, simplest amp I can get away with, and am considering the Princeton Reverb or the Deluxe Reverb, if the Princeton doesn't have enough power.

humbucker at the neck

I would suggest any of those two. I play with a Princeton variation (Recording Amp), which has enough power for all the applications you need. Both the Princeton Reissue and the Deluxe Reverb have great reverb and cool vibrato (tremolo), but in the vibrato the PRRI is better than DRRI. I don't think you'll need that phaser :D

In rehearsals I dial in around 3 on the Volume, 4-5 in bar gigs (50-100 p.) and my Telecaster also has HB in the neck. If accidental overdrive is your concern, just plug into the 2nd input (-5 db).

5E3 Deluxe is a great amp, but definitely not a first electric amp and definitely not for that type of music, unless you go Neil Young. That amp doesn't have the requested headroom for that style.

• Members

A Deluxe Reverb will do the things you buy a Tweed Deluxe for better than a Tweed Deluxe will do the things you buy a Deluxe Reverb for (if that makes sense). Don't buy a Princeton Reverb over a Deluxe Reverb. With a DR you get Two channels, more headroom and a 12inch speaker. Well worth the extra money used OR new. All the amps mentioned are nice...but if I could have only one it would be a DR.

...and a few pedals.

I'm one of the biggest Princeton fans you'll ever run across, and for recording, I think they're one of the best amps ever made... but with a band, I'd hesitate. The volume of the band will determine whether or not one would work with it at rehearsals. With a drum kit being played with sticks, it might not cut it; the extra 7-10W (they say the Princetons are 15W amps, but I've always thought of them as 12W) that a Deluxe has gives it the edge in terms of volume - especially if you need clean headroom.

Your speaker options are a bit more open with a Deluxe too, since they use a 12" as opposed to a Princeton's 10". Yes, you can mod a Princeton for a 12" if you want, but I'm assuming you don't want to go there... :idk:

If your drummer plays with brushes exclusively, then the Princeton Reverb should be able to keep up, and IMHO it's the better sounding amp of the two reissues... but I'd make sure the store has a good return policy in case you decide you need "more".

• Members

I'm one of the biggest Princeton fans you'll ever run across, and for recording, I think they're one of the best amps ever made... but with a band, I'd hesitate. The volume of the band will determine whether or not one would work with it at rehearsals. With a drum kit being played with sticks, it might not cut it; the extra 7-10W (they say the Princetons are 15W amps, but I've always thought of them as 12W) that a Deluxe has gives it the edge in terms of volume - especially if you need clean headroom.

Your speaker options are a bit more open with a Deluxe too, since they use a 12" as opposed to a Princeton's 10". Yes, you can mod a Princeton for a 12" if you want, but I'm assuming you don't want to go there...
:idk:

If your drummer plays with brushes exclusively, then the Princeton Reverb should be able to keep up, and IMHO it's the better sounding amp of the two reissues... but I'd make sure the store has a good return policy in case you decide you need "more".

Absolutely.

I own a DRRI, and I've played in jamming situations with guys that have brought a Princeton Reverb, both originals and the re-issues.

Long and short: when a full band kicks in, a Princeton Reverb really can't keep up. It gets drowned out easily, even at moderate volumes. The Princeton Reverb user has to crank it, starts overdriving rather than getting louder, and there go the pristine cleans that everyone loves in Fender amps...

A DRRI is a better choice if you're going to be playing live. It can hold it's own.

• Members

Your speaker options are a bit more open with a Deluxe too, since they use a 12" as opposed to a Princeton's 10".

For me that's the only valid reason I would ever want to have a Deluxe Reverb, the only extra worths of consideration.

• Members

sounds heavenly imo
:o

Now that is what clean to grit should be. All natural within the amp and guitar itself. That tone could cut any mix regardless of the gain. Most clean ch's can sound really scooped and buried/blanketed. This is killer!

• Members

Now that is what clean to grit should be. All natural within the amp and guitar itself. That tone could cut any mix regardless of the gain. Most clean ch's can sound really scooped and buried/blanketed. This is killer!

sounds killer with humbuckers too:

[video=youtube;yMwhTqv8bL0]

Archived