OT: Bought myself a new PC

strtdv

• Members

I've been struggling along with my laptop for some time now, was looking to replace it with a new laptop, but since my laptop spends 98% of the time sitting on my desk, I figured I may as well get a better spec desktop for the same price.

I ended up going a little over budget (as usual :facepalm: ), but it should keep going for a long time before I need to upgrade again (I'm fed up with crappy laptops that are basically disposable after 30 months).

Specs:

-i5 2500k 3.3GHz (planning to overclock to 4GHz once warranty runs out)

-4GB 1600Mhz RAM (eventually another 4GB will be needed, but that's only

• Members
It's a decent PC, but that's about $1500 USD which is pretty expensive for those specs, even with the monitor. That computer + monitor could have been built for under $1000 USD or around

• Members

Screw warrantys overclock it anyway ;)

They'll never know theres even an auto button that will overclock over what you want on that motherboard anyway that works great haha!

(I've made a build with the non pro p8p67..)

If anything goes wrong... which it wont you just get rid of the settings from the bios they'll never know!

• Members

i built my own though, with a nice case cooler master haf 922 and it glows all red n stuff

i got a good midrange gigabyte motherboard with crossfire capabilities in case i wanna do crossfire later but i only put 1 sapphire 6870 in it for now

my whole build cost me about 1200 last august, with an i5 quad core, 4 gb ddr3 1600 and 2x 500gb seagate barracuda hard drives, something leik this could easily be done under 1000 now

i highly recommend XFX psu's, i got the 750w modular one it rocks!

• Members

I disagree. PC Power & Cooling PSU's are the only way to go IMO. I run them on my desktop and my servers...rock solid.

Yea thats good but XFX is good also. I use a Kingwin Lazer (also the coolest looking with the crystal blocks). Corsair, SeaSonic, ect... are all fine PSU's. Basically anything around $100 or more.

• Members

Just remember rule number one if you do... DO NOT SKIMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY, you'll be sorry if you do. This is also a place where a lot of mass-market pc manufacturers cut corners, and a bad power supply can take out anything and everything it's connected to. +1 to PC Power and Cooling power supplies, the best you can buy, IMO, and the only ones I use when I build a computer.

:thu:

+1 for experienced pc builders.

• Members

im experianced, its all a matter of opionion, and in my opinion xfx is just as good as pc power and cooling, antec and corsair are also great

im entitled to my opinion...

I've read from multiple sources they've got the lowest failure rate in market (less than 1%). That, my friend, is not an opinion.

Archived