The best of the best: Gibson Les Paul vs Guild Bluesbird

soundgardener75

• Members

My good friend Craig has a killer Bluesbird, and as much as I take his word for his opinion, I'd love to hear what the good people of HCAF has to say on this one.

Pit the best Gibson has to offer for their Les Paul vs the best Guild has for the Bluesbird.

Which one is better?

• Members

Bluesbirds are hollow inside, though I guess new Gibsons almost are too. Traditionally though the Guild is more like

a Les Paul shaped 335 or something like that but with no F holes

You mean all of them are chambered? I tried one a while back, and it was about the same weight as a Standard.

• Members

A friend of mine has a sparkle finnish Bluesbird (same as that guy from Garbage's Bluesbird), and the thing is IMMENSE! She's also got a LP Classic, and obviously I've got my Les Pauls to compare it to (Both '97's...so Swiss Cheese'd). The Bluesbird just has this real big, airy, breathey?? quality to it....just really full sounding, nicely balanced with no muddiness. I like it a lot!

• Members

I had the natural AAA model, but had to sell when my child was born.

IMHO the quality is the Custom Shop category for Gibson, but nobody wanted to pay that much for their new guitars.

And some people made comments on the thick poly on the tops, it wouldn't let the mahagony breath and other BS :D

Buy if you can. Very decent guitars.

• Members

I owned a Bluesbird a while ago, goldtop,...beautiful guitar. I owned it before I really knew anything about what makes a guitar a quality and useful instrument.

It's doesn't have the attitude of a LP but it can cop some similar tones. Plays really nice, comfortable, fairly light weight. Sounds great clean or under gain,....slightly airy but still fat. Would love to have another one.

I don't think one is better than the other.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

There are several levels of Les Pauls under the Gibson name that I don't think it's something that's fair to compare. I have the 2017 Bluesbird pictured below--I've had it for about three weeks and I love it. There's nothing to complain about and loads to love. I supposed I could say that I'd like if it were "pleked". The action was high and it was a job getting it within range acceptable to me. I couldn't quite get it low enough without the G dampening above the 12th fret so I had to spring for a pro setup where the fret dressing made the difference. I think the Bluesbird is very versatile and I love the balance of sound across the Duncan pickups. For $999 it's a better buy than the Les Paul that goes for $799 new. Beautiful top and coil splitting.

2a38ac14e2b02d321e78beea4ac628c1.thumb.jpg.148942b6898349d5188c5c1426e88aa5.jpg

• Members

My first guitar when I was 7 years old was a '60 Guild M65 which is single pickup Aristocrat. Wish I still had it. Around 2000 I bought a Blues90 which is a Bluesbird with P90 pickups. Wish I still had it. Had a few Les Pauls and don't really miss them. Fine guitars but not comparable to any of the Guilds. I think the older New Jersey guitars had far more quality than new ones (guess thats true of everything though.) Bottom line is that I prefer the Guilds, but that is a personal opinion. I think Guilds are smoother with more wood in their sound. Les Pauls are heavier and have the sound of rock and roll in them.

Archived