Played a Jet City JCA50H yesterday + Guitar Center sucks balls

Jesse G

• Members

I called the Tampa GC to ask if they had that amp and this guy said they had it used for $425. So I make the 45 minute trip to GC and I talk to the guy and he can't find it anywhere, but seems too busy to really look. After a while I asked someone else and he finally found it. The first guy set up the head on top of a Marshall 1960, turns it on and gets the footswitch out of the bag while I go look for a guitar. He's like "alright, you're all set" and after wondering for a few minutes why there is no sound I had to go get a speaker cable. :facepalm::lol:

Anyway, the amp is a fucking killer. OH MY GOD SO GOOD. I plugged a few LP's into it and got great clean tones. It can do full sounding clean cleans at high volume and the OD channel is just tits. I basically decided I was going to take it home as soon as I started playing through it.

So I took it up to the counter and turns out it's on "gear hold" for somebody until July 4. :mad::facepalm:

• Members

Well it's overpriced anyway. The amp is $499 new with warranty and free shipping no tax at many online vendors. By the time you're done paying tax at GC you will have saved only $50 bucks from a new one.

Actually, AMS currently has a scratch and dent JCA100H for $449.00, might be worth it to live with a little scratch to get the bigger amp (it also comes with the warranty).

But yeah these amps are absolutely killer.

• Members

I have one coming myself. Glad to hear more positive reviews. I was a little concerned with it being only 50 watts. I like allot of clean headroom and low end and a few 50 watters I have played have lacked in those areas.

• Members

Well it's overpriced anyway. The amp is $499 new with warranty and free shipping no tax at many online vendors. By the time you're done paying tax at GC you will have saved only $50 bucks from a new one.

Actually, AMS currently has a scratch and dent JCA100H for $449.00, might be worth it to live with a little scratch to get the bigger amp (it also comes with the warranty).

But yeah these amps are absolutely killer.

Damn, $500? What a bargain! How does the 100 watter sound at moderate volumes? Does it have to be cranked to sound good?

For $500, I'd give it a shot.

• Members

I have one coming myself. Glad to hear more positive reviews. I was a little concerned with it being only 50 watts. I like allot of clean headroom and low end and a few 50 watters I have played have lacked in those areas.

Yeah, with the LP's I was playing through the clean was great. I was able to get it sound really clean and no breakup at loud volumes, while still sounding very full. It does the gritty clean really well, too. Maybe with hotter pickups it's harder to get a clean clean.

I wouldn't say the amp has a lot of low end, but I was running the bass a little higher on 8 and it sounded great. It doesn't have low-lows which I'm perfectly fine with.

• Members

Damn, $500? What a bargain! How does the 100 watter sound at moderate volumes? Does it have to be cranked to sound good?

For $500, I'd give it a shot.

I can get great tones out of the 100w even at bedroom volumes. The master volume taper on these amps is amazing. Of course, like any tube amp, it sounds better cranked, but the low volume tones are REALLY good. Much better than my Marshall 800 that absolutely needs to be loud to sound good.

• Members

I can get great tones out of the 100w even at bedroom volumes. The master volume taper on these amps is amazing. Of course, like any tube amp, it sounds better cranked, but the low volume tones are REALLY good. Much better than my Marshall 800 that absolutely needs to be loud to sound good.

Man, I'm so tempted on that scratch and dent model you mentioned! $450 and free shipping! Although, with the amps in my sig, it'd be redundant, but that has never stopped me before. LOL

• Members

Man, I'm so tempted on that scratch and dent model you mentioned! $450 and free shipping! Although, with the amps in my sig, it'd be redundant, but that has never stopped me before. LOL

Well I never had a Cameron or a Fortin Modded 800, but I've owned the 5150 and I currently own the 2210. I can honestly say the JCA is NOT redundant if you own these 2 amps. It sounds thicker than the Marshall and way smoother than the 5150, it actually sits perfectly in between these 2 amps.

• Members

OP, if that store is that incompetent, and the dude turned the amp on without it being plugged into a cab, i wouldn't buy that amp from that store in the first place.

Good call, good call. I didn't really need to drop that kind of cash right then either, I'm just impulsive

• Members

DAMN you guys stop already.

I'm gassin so hard for one of these amps. I'm waiting for the JCA22 to come out. I don't need 50-100 watts for in home playing, even 20 will be more than enough for me.

Question, since the preamps are the same on the JCA100, 50, and the new JCA22, do you think there will be much of a difference in tone with the JCA22 since it is using EL84s?

• Members

I called the Tampa GC to ask if they had that amp and this guy said they had it used for $425. So I make the 45 minute trip to GC and I talk to the guy and he can't find it anywhere, but seems too busy to really look. After a while I asked someone else and he finally found it. The first guy set up the head on top of a Marshall 1960, turns it on and gets the footswitch out of the bag while I go look for a guitar. He's like "alright, you're all set" and after wondering for a few minutes why there is no sound I had to go get a speaker cable.
:facepalm::lol:

Anyway, the amp is a fucking killer. OH MY GOD SO GOOD. I plugged a few LP's into it and got great clean tones. It can do full sounding clean cleans at high volume and the OD channel is just tits. I basically decided I was going to take it home as soon as I started playing through it.

So I took it up to the counter and turns out it's on "gear hold" for somebody until July 4.
:mad::facepalm:

That said, I'm sure the one its on hold for is thrilled that it was turned on without a speaker load...:cop:

• Members

That said, I'm sure the one its on hold for is thrilled that it was turned on without a speaker load...
:cop:

I doubt it would cause any damage to the JCA50 though. These amps are very robust. I've made that mistake with my 100w once and it was like nothing happened, the amp was fine and I did a 2-hour gig right after it happened, not even the tubes were affected.

• Members

Well I never had a Cameron or a Fortin Modded 800, but I've owned the 5150 and I currently own the 2210. I can honestly say the JCA is NOT redundant if you own these 2 amps. It sounds thicker than the Marshall and way smoother than the 5150, it actually sits perfectly in between these 2 amps.

More aggressive than the 2210? I had a 2205 and am too gassing for the new 22H, or 50H.

• Members

More aggressive than the 2210? I had a 2205 and am too gassing for the new 22H, or 50H.

more aggressive than the 2210? Well, no. Not really. It has a ton more gain (I can get the 2210 max gain by dialing the JCA to 4.5 on the OD channel) and it sounds thicker, but it's a smoother tone. The Marshall has that in-your-face attack that only a good Marshall has, the JCA sounds heavy but it's a smoother tone with softer attack.

• Members

When I had my JCA I also thought it was exactly between my Marshall and my 5150 tone wise.

• Members

This thread scared me when I read the topic. I saw "played JCA50H" and "sucks balls" together and I was like, "ruh roh". Glad that's not how it went!

Holy shit a Seattle Doug sighting! :wave:

Hey Doug when are the 22 heads coming out? I spoke to Dustin and even Greg via: Emails and they said around late june but this was about 6 weeks ago, how are we looking right now? I had a 50 and sold it to another formite and i miss the shit out of it :cry:

BTW Is the 22 tonally the same as the 50 head? Thanks

:thu:

• Members

Holy shit a Seattle Doug sighting!
:wave:

Hey Doug when are the 22 heads coming out? I spoke to Dustin and even Greg via: Emails and they said around late june but this was about 6 weeks ago, how are we looking right now? I had a 50 and sold it to another formite and i miss the shit out of it
:cry:

BTW Is the 22 tonally the same as the 50 head? Thanks

:thu:

I bought it.

Damn that amp rocks! It's got better cleans and crunch than my Herbert. Fer real!

It's just more musical. The Herbert is more wicked/brutal/mean but the JCA50H is a powerhouse in its own right.

I wanted a 22h...but I'm not sure the el84's will give me anything more than the 6L6's from the 50H...

Damn, I love this amp! LOVE!

Srsly.

• Members

I bought it.

Damn that amp rocks! It's got better cleans and crunch than my Herbert. Fer real!

It's just more musical. The Herbert is more wicked/brutal/mean but the JCA50H is a powerhouse in its own right.

I wanted a 22h...but I'm not sure the el84's will give me anything more than the 6L6's from the 50H...

Damn, I love this amp! LOVE!

Srsly.

:cry:

:mad:

:cry::lol:

Archived