Opinion the Celestion G12P-80 (Seventy Eighty) CLEAN ONLY

Iplayloud

• Members

There's tons of bad reviews on that speaker because people try it with a Marshall and the distortion is harsh, but it's a speaker designed for chimey cleans. So I was testing the new Hot Rod Deluxe III lately and it sounds huge and nice clean. It seems that it's just a cheaper G12t-75 or V30 but people who swapped it in their HRDIII report that the distortion is better but the clean is worse, so looking for a clean speaker this could be a good choice ?

• Members

Im not sure it was designed for chimey cleans, i was under the impression it was sort of related to the cl80 which isnt exactly chimey. Plus its been loaded in combo's and cabs that arent exactly clean machines. Its also very much not a cheaper v30 or g12t-75.

Personally i think its a decent speaker, the combo i have them in sounds good, but it wouldnt be something id swap in for an "upgrade". There are loads of better speakers out there for around the same price.

• Members

i think they are great for clean, as they are the most boring plain vanila speaker.

this depends on the amp thou.

loved the clean tones with my old laney VC30.

for gain...yeah its pretty much the most universally hated speaker for this application.

• Members

i think they are great for clean, as they are the most boring plain vanila speaker.

this depends on the amp thou.

loved the clean tones with my old laney VC30.

for gain...yeah its pretty much the most universally hated speaker for this application.

They do sound good with modelling amps though and many from vox to tech21 to line6 use them.

I got one of the best clean tones out of a pod XT through a tech21 with that speaker. Couldn't believe it actually. I know that maybe in a band mix it could not maintain its coherence (maybe) but still it was fantastic. And one of the best clean tones out of a laney lc30 with that speaker which is not a modelling amp. So yeah I think it sounds really good clean.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

That's a 5 year old thread you're responding to.

Celestion got their rep with the greenback speakers used with Marshall amps. They produced allot of midrange tones and had rolled off highs which helped tame the Marshall's piercing upper mids and highs. Celestion has expanded their line in recent years to compete with companies like eminence and makes speakers which sound good in all kinds of amps. You simply have to research them carefully and look at their frequency response curves and specs.

Archived