Eminence Governor vs. Celestion V30 (Clips)

metalaxe

• Members

I'm just experimenting with a x-pattern of Governor and V30 in my Earforce cab.....

here are some clips for you

Speaker1

Speaker2

which one of the above clips do you prefer?

and just for fun here is a clip with the Gov on one side and the V30 on the other side

and for even more fun: a blend of both speakers on both sides
In this clip both speakers are equally loud, you can of course achieve interesting tones by different balances between the speakers....blending different speakers is fun!

which one do you like best overall ?

• Members

speaker 2 is the V30. it has the highs rolled off just a but compared to speaker 1. even though i have never heard a governor, speaker 1 sounds a lot like an eminence wizard to me; detailed, razor-highs instead of a rolled-off high with 1k mid peak like a V30.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
When I had both, I preferred the Governor. But like most eminence speakers, it has more punch/girth less highs/presence than its celestion counterpart. Which could be good or bad depending on what you want.
Seems like most Emi's are that way. Eminence speakers have the qualitys in a speaker I want. They dont have the qualitys I hate about most Celestions. (granted I have to turn the presence up & the treble up a bit more than usual, when using Emi's).

The Eminence Delta 12 B (bass speaker mixed with the Eminence Lynch Super V mix I've been using lately is the speaker sound I've been chasing since figuring out the tone Ive always wanted. F*ck celestions.

• Members

wow, old thread.

Anyways, I just don't like most eminence speakers. They sound more muffled and bland than the celestions they are trying to emulate. The detail and character is much nicer in the celestions, IMO.

The Governor(which people say is supposed to emulate the v30) broke up way too early and lost ALL of it's integrity at an early stage. I couldn't stand it with the 6505, although it sounded alright through the cobra.

I have come to the conclusion that I am just a Vintage 30 guy through and through.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf

View Post

You also don't like speaker breakup. I do biggrin.gif

Right, it totally depends on the application. I need a speaker that can hold together in the low-end when I am playing a down-tuned guitar in a 2 guitar band under heavy distortion.

Archived