Why don't amp companies install a lead boost function more often?

scooped-mids

• Members

What are you girls talking about. He's talking about boosting your front end, not a lead boost
:facepalm:

So was I. People like to have their own flavor of a boost instead of a built in one. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for hundreds of different TS variations.

• Members

I think having more amps with a Volume increase "Solo Boost" would be a better idea.

Correct. Boosting the front end "for leads" is increasing distortion etc, not level. Hardly level. Maybe the increase in mids seems to raise the volume but in a band with a second guitarist you are going to wonder where the {censored} was the solo burried.

A "level" solo boost makes much more sense for two channel amps. It can also be done with a delay pedal in the loop if it is serial of course but anyway.

A three channel head makes of course much more sense anyway. I don't particularly like soloing with my dryer rythm tone but anyway...

• Members

don't dumbles have a build in fet boost stage?

i'd second that a lead boost would be more useful, and many amps already have that.

front end boosts are all about the tone which is why there are so many different ones.

• Members

DIfferent front end boosts do different things. Using an OCD as a boost sounds WAYYY different than using a TS9... That's why they don't do it. If you're talking about a simple volume boost, then that's a different story...

• Members

One good method is to add a limited boost cathode bypass cap to an unbypassed stage to add gain over a certain frequency range as this adds gain, a bit of volume and changes the tone a little to differentiate it from the rhythm tone.

• Members

So was I. People like to have their own flavor of a boost instead of a built in one. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for hundreds of different TS variations.

With it built in, you still have the choice. Some people enjoy the convenience of a clean boost for solos without having to put a pedal in the chain. If you don't want it, just don't engage it, and use whatever pedal you want.

Archived